1539 Washington Blvd
Opened in the mid '60s
Closed in 1975
by 1 person
This Trader Vic's was located in the once-beautiful Statler Hotel. After the Hilton chain bought the Statler in the early 60's, this Trader Vic's was opened on the ground floor (sometime between 1963 and 1968). At this Trader Vic's, the bartenders were contained behind glass, much like the Chinese Ovens -- the waitstaff handled all the drink serving, and there was no customer interaction with the bartenders. The restaurant had a jacket-required dress code, and had jackets on-hand to be loaned out. There was a VIP area with peacock chairs for special clientele.
The hotel changed hands several times between 1969 and when it finally went bankrupt and closed in 1975. The contents of the Trader Vic's went for only $7,500 at auction in January of the following year. The massive Statler has sat vacant for 30 years, until the hotel was razed in 2005.