Opened in circa 1955
Closed in the late '90s/early '00s
by 5 people
Tiburon Tommie's was initially called "Tiburon Tommie's Pier 41" when it was opened by Tommie Cox and Johnnie Won sometime around 1955 or so (Won was a former Trader Vic's employee). In later years, it was taken over by its restaurant manager, and renamed "Tiburon Tommie's Mai Tai." Won remained as chef. The building was large, and situated on the water on historic Main St. in Tiburon, across the bay from San Francisco. It's upper level was the "Maori Sky Room," used in later years only for storage.
Tiburon Tommie's lasted longer than many of the grand tiki places, closing around the late '90s or early '00s. When it went out of business, many of its items were reportedly found in a dumpster, and then sold at auction. Many members of the then-burgeoning San Francisco tiki scene were able to purchase items from the decor. In the early '00s, the building was torn down, and now condos are on the spot.