18108 Union Tpke
Opened in 1953
Closed in 2016
by 1 person
King Yum was a classic example of the style of Chinese-meets-Polynesian Pop restaurants that have peppered the U.S. Northeast for decades. It was opened in 1953 by the Eng family, and was still run by the Eng family today until its closure in August 2016.
The entrance had a rock wall waterfall, and there were tiki poles and tiki masks throughout the restaurant... painted in unfortunate primary colors. The restaurant had broad A-frame details over the dining room, and bamboo was used heavily. There were an awful lot of white on the walls and ceiling, though. Lamps were old classics from Orchids of Hawaii. There was a second dining room with more traditional Chinese decoration rather than Polynesian. The exterior of the building had no Polynesian influence, but did have a beautiful green tile roof.
The food was good old American Chinese, and a number of tropical drinks were served, some in tiki mugs or coconuts.
How to find it