2314 Rt. 38
Cherry Hill, NJ
Opened in 1938
Closed in 1978
by 2 people
The Hawaiian Cottage restaurant was opened by Michael and Mary Egidi in 1938, and lasted until it burned down in 1978. Sometime between 1960 and 1966, the city of Merchantville changed its name to Cherry Hill, so items from Hawaiian Cottage will bear either name.
The building had unusual domed pineapple and coconut roofs. There were floor shows, and leis and souvenir photos for customers. In 1954 a gift shop opened under the pineapple roof.
The site is now the location of an Olive Garden.