101 E. Walton Pl.
Opened in 1940
Closed in the late '60s/early '70s
Don the Beachcomber
by 3 people
Don the Beachcomber's Chicago location was a legendary hotspot on the Chicago restaurant scene for decades. It opened in 1940, and was open at least until the late '60s, probably later. It was in Chicago's Magnificent Mile neighborhood, about where the Four Seasons Hotel is today.
The building had a simple entrance, with a large neon sign in the trademark Don the Beachcomber driftwood sign shape. Inside, the restaurant had several rooms: the Tahitian Room and the Zombie Room were dining rooms, and the Cannibal Room was the bar. The bar had striking black posts carved with a stacked trio of Tahitian cannibal tikis. The whole restaurant was thoroughly encrusted with bamboo, and float lamps and beachcomber lamps were everywhere.
How to find it