303 San Pablo Ave
El Cerrito, CA
Opened in the 1930s
Not yet rated
Club Kona dates from the pre-tiki era when elegant tropical nightclubs were themed with palm trees and bamboo. It was owned by Henry, Dolly and Phil Molino. It was initially located at 316 San Pablo Ave., and reopened at 303 San Pablo after a fire in early 1938.
From February 1948 to February 1949, Club Kona was temporarily leased to Lloyd Johnson while the Molino family took a vacation — necessitated by Henry and Phil Molino being on probation for a gambling charge.