Have something to add?
Update Critiki's Info
Opened in 1947
Defunct tiki not included,
distances are as the crow flies.
Feb 2, 2007
Jan 26, 2007
Nov 11, 2006
Seating area at The Alibi in Portland
June 2011, photo by GrandMarquis
Have a photo or a collectible from The Alibi?
Add it to Critiki!
Even through the darkest days of tikidom, The Alibi remained popular and busy—probably due to the frequent karaoke nights. The Alibi is full of beautiful lamps and decor from Oceanic Arts, and has been cared for very well. The drinks tend to be on the weak and sweet side; the menu is full of newer drinks of their own creation, and DeKuyper's liqueurs are featured heavily.
The Alibi has a long history that predates tiki. It began in the late 1800s as the Chat-n-Nibble, a horse & buggy stop along a dirt road. In later days it became a tavern called Max Alibi. The third owner, Roy Ell, took over the tavern in 1947 and renamed it The Alibi. Ell had travelled to Hawaii, and is responsible for changing the decor to reflect his own Polynesian tastes. The tavern was expanded to include the restaurant in the 1950s. The Witco-inspired rails and 3D hula-girl mural were 1970s additions. In the 1980s, Ell leased The Alibi with the agreement that the decor must stay as is. The current lessee has been running The Alibi since 1992.
Just across the street is The Palms motor hotel. While not strictly tiki, it does have a fantastic neon sign, and is within stumbling distance.
How to find it:
The nearest cross-street is N. Shaver St. You cannot miss The Alibi, the sign is dramatic.
The Alibi has free parking in its own parking lot.