Recent Comments

This page is available as an RSS feed:
Hale Pele, Portland
July 29, 2015, 3:20 PM
So jealous of you Portland people! If I lived there I would be a regular. Was just there again for Tiki Kon 2015, excellent as always. My favorite drink there is the Lei Lanni Volcano, maybe on the lighter side, but it tastes sooo good.

July 28, 2015, 3:42 PM
I don't have much to add, but the server we had was super sweet to me and my aunt's. I love the decor, and it was great to be able to send photos to my folks who used to eat there all the time when they were my age! I can understand their hesitation to put money into it, but I think they'd attract the college kids if they at least did a once a month full tiki experience.

Fry's Electronics, Manhattan Beach
July 22, 2015, 9:14 PM
This place was better in the 90s when it was newer and better maintained. I used to love spending time at the diorama of their "Banana Train Island" in the middle of the video camera demo area. Rumored to be designed by ILM/Dreamworks it was once in better shape than it is now with tiny details of people, huts, boats, a working train all around a big volcano. More fun was had when they would allow folks to sit in the tiki themed theater for the Bose speaker demo.

The Tiki House, Pacific Beach
July 19, 2015, 11:09 AM
Check out the Catamaran Resort Hotel in Pacific Beach.3999 Mission Boulevard, San Diego. Try the Morey Mai Tai in their bar. The landscaping and view of Mission Bay is breathtaking.

Lava Lounge, Madison
July 18, 2015, 11:01 PM
This is a bar off of State St. on the UW campus that never really kept up the tikiness other than the name and some of the decor. The last time I was in there, the bartender didn't know how to make basic tiki drinks and they had only 2 rums.

July 18, 2015, 10:45 PM
The quality of the drinks here is the best I have personally experienced. Better than Mai-Kai, probably a little better than Tiki-Ti. Not a lot of especially stiff drinks but it's a great menu.

The decor is excellent because they took the time to find or replicate real print artifacts from old tropical themed destinations. Really excellent work.

Our waitress started trying to regulate our intake after the second round. It was our first bar of the day so we didn't appreciate this in the slightest. She was also being passively aggressive about how much we were laughing. She was the only blight on a fabulous evening at what is probably a top 5 tiki bar in North America.

July 17, 2015, 9:02 AM
Tiki Bob's Cantina was a ubiquitous college style tiki bar. It received allot of business by virtue of it's location next to Safeco Field (across from the north parking lot). It was frequented by a younger crowd and Red Bull reps. It had a Senor Frogs kind of flair. Moderate décor but there was nothing in the place that had the "wow" factor. It was the kind of place you go for jello shots and cheap beer prior to the Seahawks or Mariners game or to watch college girls strip for tuition money.

Polynesian Room, Fort Lauderdale
July 16, 2015, 8:25 AM
The wreck bar still has Mermaids swimming on Friday & Saturday evenings at 6:00. Definitely worth the trip.

Tony's on the Pier, Redondo Beach
July 6, 2015, 11:07 PM
fantastic mai tai, and the food was delicious. the waves crashing against the pilings adding to the wild natural feeling and seeing the waves rush by while eating is awesome

Don the Beachcomber, Huntington Beach
July 6, 2015, 11:04 PM
hands down the best tiki place overall in my travels. always a great staff, good patrons all locals, and very good drinks. they even have a tiki take on nachos by using fried wonton wrappers in lieu of chips. needless to say they taste great, especially with the kalua pork on top. only downside is some of the t-shirts on display have been unavailable for some time, hopefully they correct that.

July 6, 2015, 10:59 PM
just had lunch ther with family. mai tai was so-so, food was very Chef Mike. decor was great but the gift shop was not open and no one knew when it would be open. all in all a bit of a let down

July 6, 2015, 10:01 AM
I swung by The Tiki yesterday on my way home from Oakland. The thatched booths have recently been removed and from what the bartender told us, they are in the middle of a remodel. He said that they were going to put in more (GASP!) TVs and they are painting a hideous mural on one of the walls. The Tiki that stood guard of the entrance is gone and the only one I could find inside was in the corner being used as a table for trash. The motel was super sketchy with drug deals and hooking in the parking lot in broad daylight. I suggest if you plan on seeing it, go now as there might not be any recognizable part of it left in the near future.

July 6, 2015, 2:52 AM
very much a TGIF with a pandering tiki front. la mariana off sand island drive is where you should go.

July 2, 2015, 1:28 AM
Tiki Tiki provided a substandard faux polynesian experience that left me feeling bummed out. I had high expectations when I arrived. However, by the time my visit was through, I was lacking the rum soaked aloha spirit that a tiki bar should provide.

Drinks:
The most important part of the tiki experience is rum. So to start, I order a Mai Tai--the benchmark drink for any tiki establishment. Tiki Tiki’s Mai Tai was served in a sundae glass with a pineapple, orange, and flower garnish. Neat. It looked pretty, but how did it taste? Bad. The first thing that jumped out was the temperature of the drink. It was warm. There was just a scant amount of melting ice floating at the top of the cocktail. Pineapple and orange juice dominated the flavor profile. There was only the tiniest hint of lime--not nearly enough. The drink was missing the taste of orgeat and rum. To sum this cocktail up: I asked for a Mai Tai, but was served a warm glass of fruit juice.

Service:
Terrible. After being shown our table and served our first round of drinks, we were ignored by the servers. They were zipping around the dining room tending to what appeared to be a birthday party. After more than 30 minutes of sitting in front of empty glasses and plates, I got up and requested further service.

Surprise charges:
When the bill finally got to our table, I noticed that it was 1000 yen too high. I looked a bit closer and noticed an item simply labeled “charge.” I asked our server what it was for, and he said that they charge 500 yen per customer simply for visiting. Well, it would have been nice knowing that before hand. There was nothing posted at front of the restaurant regarding a cover charge, our server did not inform us when we were being seated, and there was nothing noted in the menu.

Summary:
Terrible drinks and service capped with a surprise cover charge that is revealed only when you receive your bill. Do not waste your money here. If you want to visit a tiki bar in Tokyo, you are better off going to Trader Vic’s at The New Otani.

Kahuna Tiki, North Hollywood
June 29, 2015, 3:35 PM
A cute, mostly outdoor restaurant having a relaxed atmosphere of waterfalls, tiki torches, and a sprinkling of other Polynesian touches including some tikis and masks. The peace is periodically interrupted by airplanes taking-off from nearby Bob Hope Airport. The menu is heavy on appetizers, sushi, and dessert – rather light on anything/everything else. There is a kids menu. As of just this month (June 2015) Kahuna Tiki now has their liquor license. You can get beer, wine, sake, and a small selection of tropical cocktails (Kahuna Paradise, Wikiki Wipe Out, Pina Colada, Mai Tai, Hawaiian Punch Spiked, and Blue Hawaiian). They’re probably still working on the cocktails so expect changes.

Damon's, Glendale
June 27, 2015, 12:52 AM
just had dinner with family, definitely one of the best tiki places in the country. 70 years must mean something is being done right and it shows

Longitude, Oakland
June 22, 2015, 4:58 PM
Finally made it here. We were in the area on a Sunday at 4pm right when they opened. Great time to go, not crowded at all. Drinks were good, we also ordered the pupu platter which I thought had a nice selection of items. They were super nice to us. Also plenty of parking out front. More safari meets tiki but nicely decorated.

The Hawaiian, Salt Lake City
June 16, 2015, 6:50 PM
I was trying to find anything on the internet about the Hawaiian, and glad I did. I was looking for pictures, or anything. I miss the restaurant, and wish it were still around. My husband proposed to me there 30 years ago. He has passed away now and I only have found memories. I wish it was there so, I could have returned to visit, and let my children see how cool it is. The food was good, not gourmet, but the atmosphere and the huge tropical drinks were the best. Does anyone know what year it is was closed? Thank you for putting creating this website and letting me reminisce.

Foundation, Milwaukee
June 13, 2015, 7:31 PM
When I travel, I try to find a Tiki Bar. Last week, business made me go to Milwaukee. I looked on Critiki for a bar and two popped up. Foundation had a high score.

I went there and boy was I impressed. I would rank it as a top 10 tiki bar. Yeah, I was a little weirded out by the neighborhood and yeah, the place looks like an old house on the outside with an Easter Island head nailed to the side of it, but when you open the door, you are in a tropical wonderland. The crowd is friendly, the drinks are strong and authentic. None of your orange juice and pineapple "Mai Tai" here.

Don Nelson is a mixologist extraordinaire and loves his tiki culture. The music playing at Foundation is a wonderful mix of exotica, Bossa Nova, lounge, surf and the rest of the good stuff that is era specific and perfect.

I checked out another Tiki Bar in the area, had a decent Mai Tai, got a snoot full of pop rock and rockabilly and headed right back over to Foundation. Honestly, this was one of the best Tiki Bars that I have been to and I am looking for an excuse to return to Milwaukee... just to visit Don and Foundation again.

Wytukai, Christ Church
June 3, 2015, 12:47 PM
Wytukai is went out of business. 😞

Hawaiian Village, Vancouver
May 28, 2015, 8:02 PM
Darn what a shame they are no longer around, used to go to the one in New Westminster, BC., all the time. It's very sad. I have not been to the restaurant in 25 years.

Hawaiian Village, Vancouver
May 28, 2015, 7:57 PM
Why isn't there a menu for the Hawaiian Village, Vancouver and New Westminster, BC, Canada?

May 18, 2015, 9:01 PM
Drove 300 miles to get here and had the worst drinks and service ever. The decor is quite good but other than that the ratings here are much too kind.

May 12, 2015, 11:07 AM
Worth checking out but your experience will differ greatly depending on whose tending bar.

Mahiki, London
May 12, 2015, 10:57 AM
Was denied entry by a snarky door girl for not being dressed 'sharp and casual' and the threatened to be removed. Only bar I've ever been denied entry to anywhere in the world. Head to the beachcomber instead, the guys there were awesome.

Tiki Taky, Praha
May 11, 2015, 10:29 AM
Great tiki bar in źiźkov. Small but great vibes and good drinks. Try the 'spank my purple pineapple monkey ass '. Also the only place I've visited that makes an absinth tiii cocktail.

Voodoo Room, Los Angeles
May 8, 2015, 8:40 AM
Interestingly, Lisa Vanderpump's "Pump Restaurant" is now in this location. She must have expanded the patio area quite a bit based on what I've seen on her show.

Dirty Dick, Paris
May 1, 2015, 1:56 PM
Fun place and strong drinks. Dark with a great atmosphere, it's an unexpected oasis in the middle of Paris (just minutes from the Moulin Rouge). A "must visit" for any tikiphile!

April 28, 2015, 1:05 AM
My dad used to be a valet at Kahiki in the 1960s. Back then everyone wore formal attire and it was very classy. Over the years it became more of a family-style restaurant.

My family had numerous birthdays, anniversaries and celebrations there. Any time we had visitors in from out of town we'd take them to Kahiki. My husband and I even had our wedding rehearsal dinner there in 1999.

Like most other locals, we were really sad to see Kahiki go. It was a very special place for us. Thankfully we have some pictures of our fun times there and lots of great memories.

Thanks for sharing the information and photos you have on Kahiki. It was such a unique place and I'll never forget it.

April 25, 2015, 9:39 AM
It was known as Mark Thomas' Outrigger from '86 to '90, I frequented it when I was stationed at (then) Fort Ord.

It had a great bar, so-so food, and a pretty good weekend scene.

Best feature, glass floors (well, windows), with lighting to watch the surf roll in under the diners.

Trader Vic's, London
April 14, 2015, 2:28 PM
Drinks are great and the Decor is excellent. A must see.

Mahiki, London
April 14, 2015, 2:26 PM
Don't go unless you want to be treated rudely. They have no idea what Tiki is all about. Basically a night club with some Tiki decor. Drinks are over priced and suck.

April 9, 2015, 12:18 PM
It closed permanently! Sad

Hale Pele, Portland
April 7, 2015, 9:56 PM
The drinks are wonderful- there's an emphasis on drink history in the menu, and my friends thrilled to the thunder and smoke that would issue forth from the booths every so often. An impressive amount of carvings too. I had the Q.B.Cooler and was not disappointed!

Ports of Call, Toronto
April 4, 2015, 8:10 PM
I went to Ports of Call in 1966 when I was a very bright observant and impressionable nine year old from a town outside Chicago. The occasion was my family's first vacation trip to the Georgian Bay, but first, we had to stop and see my father's Aunt Florence who lived within walking distance of Ports of Call on Baker Street in Toronto. I wasn't a complete stranger to swank, but my father protested vociferously when she wanted to take us all to dinner there because of the expense. She won out and I remember I was glad because the place looked very cool and posh to me from the outside. AS I recall, there was a small flight of wrought iron steps up or down to the restaurant, and upon entering, there was a dark tropical atmosphere and a wooden footbridge across running water. We were greeted and escorted across the water to one of the rooms, all tricked out with shells, nets, floats, tikis and who knows what. They gave us huge menus and we kids got drinks with umbrellas. I have no idea what we ate but I know my dad mellowed out so he must have had one of the rum drinks. I absolutely never forgot my visit to Ports of Call, and when I finally revisited Toronto in 2009, I think it was (Michael Jackson died while I was there)I went back there to show my husband my long-deceased Aunt's former home and to see if by some long shot Ports of Call was still there. Of course it was not. I was thinking about Ports of Call tonight, don't know why, and found this website. That's when I suddenly realized that Ports of Call was my very first Tiki Place ever. In my youth, I always loved a tiki place and gravitated to them. I still do. In Chicago I hit Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vic's, and House of Tiki repeatedly. Just a couple of years ago I went to Disney World in Orlando where we visited Polynesian Village and ate at their Polynesian Restaurant with fire, meat on a spit, drinks afire and semi naked dancing men. Really pretty good. Tiki is alive and well in Las Vegas, but thanks, Toronto, for being the first to turn me on to it.

The Castaways, Miami Beach
March 30, 2015, 11:44 PM
I worked 9 months at the Castaways in 1973/74 as a lifeguard at the island Pool ( location of the Wreck Bar and Inner Circle), then as a bellhop (better money). I was 23 and had a great time! Lot's of memories and stories! Ie: Owner Joe Hart with his bright blue contacts, cruising around every day, wild man and head lifeguard Jimmy Styron, Bartender Stanley, eccentric portrait artist Richard Remington Fitch with his sea doggies (little dirty terriers with a pelican feather glued to the top of their heads, sticking straight up, and of course his 1928 Hispano-Suiza ('65 mustang convertible highly chopped up with a weird gril), caricature artistss Cal and Trey Surtees, Island Pool high diver Rick White, Andy, the smart ass hotel clerk, who
Over berating guests (he was a good guy, really fun to watch!), Bell Captain Tony Derosa from Brooklyn ( a true character who grew up with Jackie Gleason), belllman brothers from Jersey, Ray and Gerry Donnelly, Wreck Bar rock musicians from San Fran, Crazy James and Pete Miller, Lenny Bruce movie actors, and plenty of fine girls from all over.....mainly snowbirds from the northeastern US, Canada, Europe, South and Central America, and occassionally from way out west or the deep south. And that's just to name a few!

The Castaways, Miami Beach
March 30, 2015, 11:35 PM

March 22, 2015, 8:06 PM
went St Paddys' day and ordered the standard Mai Tai. perhaps my tastebuds were not recovered from my flight from seattle, but it was not tasty. Very busy place, so the locals like it or maybe just the waitresses. The Pioneer Inn in Lahaina serves a wicked Mai Tai and the scrimshaw t-shirt and the fact that the place is 100 years old and very tiki in that it is on the dock of Lahaina in Maui should rate a visit, plus the parrot in the bar wolf whistling is a classic

March 13, 2015, 1:41 PM
Small tiki bar in a very modern strip mall. There's some cool lit up thatch over the back wall which also includes flat screen tv's that thankfully only show waves gently breaking on a beach. The decor behind the bar was far too cartoonish. This combined with a severe lack of clutter threw off a Disney/Ikea vibe. Music was solid and leaned more in the surf direction rather than exotica.

Mai-tai was decent and came with a orange slice and sprig of mint. Tasted better as the ice melted.. and at $13 it was a bit pricey for what it was.

But hey.. if you're in Charlotte and dig tiki then this is your spot!

March 12, 2015, 3:36 PM
It's much smaller than i expected, which was a little disappointing to be honest, but it was very atmospheric. I was kinda bummed they don't stay open past 12 on the weekend either, but beggars cant be choosers haha! Definitely worth a visit~

Mai-Kai, Fort Lauderdale
March 11, 2015, 9:03 AM
Love Love Love this place. I have visit this place many many times. I grew up in Ft Lauderdale and use to go to the Mai Kai all the time for happy Hour and dinner. Went for a visit last year and still as beautiful as I remembered it

Trader Vic's Lounge, Beverly Hills
March 8, 2015, 1:35 AM
I wish I could have seen the old Trader Vic's. It closed a few months before I moved here. But I'm not one to get bent out of shape about decor - some of the best tiki drinks I've ever had were from bars with marble, glass and stainless steel fixtures. I like the style of cocktails and this place most certainly gets it.

Its odd that though LA invented the damn concept we cannot seem to sustain a true tiki bar anywhere. Maybe we like customer turnover whereas tiki bars encourage lounging.

In any case, they should start calling this place Traitor Vic's so all the tiki purists will know not to expect too much from the decor and we can all just focus on how good the drinks are. Trade Vic's Crog (my menu called it that anyway) is dynamite and Pino Pepe is solid too. Will most assuredly be back because I am willing to bet most of the menu is beyond competent.

March 8, 2015, 1:23 AM
Whatever their drink with passion fruit is, I can still taste it. This is the memory I cling to rather than the sugary punches. Amazing glassware. Amazing atmosphere and entrance. I am dying to go back.

Tiki-Ti, Los Angeles
March 8, 2015, 1:21 AM
NYC Tiki is correct that it's not classic Tiki but I guess I have never noticed. Never noticed the music, either. I lean much more toward the positive reviews. The Mikes are great, the atmosphere is great, the drinks are... really kinda their own thing. They aren't as bright and fruity as the best tiki-style drinks I've had. Drink-wise this is more of a Frankie's in Vegas than a Three Dots and a Dash. But damn it, everyone needs to visit this bar. Bring enough spine to get past "the smoke and the music" because bars are for drinking and this bar does drinks well.

Mai-Kai, Fort Lauderdale
March 8, 2015, 1:11 AM
Basically perfect. This is the first tiki bar I ever went to - went with other counselors during a summer camp. I was 21, it was amazing. The decor, the darkness, the size, the gardens out back... just unreal.

El Polinesio, Havana
March 2, 2015, 6:54 PM
My California band toured Havana and western Cuba last week (2/14/15) - one of our horn players is a bigtime Tiki fanatic, so we had to make a visit to this place -it was just two blocks from our hotel.

True, the decor is still pretty good, but the drink menu was very limited. Even though there were quite a few "Tropical" drinks on the menu, they couldn't make ANY of them! No blender! We were reduced to the choices on the standard cocktail menu, which turned out to be basically a G&T or a few variations on a Cuba Libre. Not even a Mojito or Pina Colada - standard drinks in almost every bar in Havana... very disappointed.

It was sort of like the Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch, if you know what I mean.

Tiki No, North Hollywood
March 1, 2015, 6:19 PM
The decor in this bar is amongst the best I've seen. Really fun to just look around and see what you can see. I was a bit disappointed by the limited drink selection, as well as the quality of the drinks. We ordered a mai tai and a Lychee Luau. We had to send the mai tai back for being pretty much undrinkable. The Lychee Luau was not bad, but a little on the syrupy side.

The ambiance was great of all you're looking for I'd the visual. Unfortunately, one must also take music into account and this bar left much to be desired for me musically. I mean, Aretha Franklin is great... but not in a tiki bar.

I want only good things for this bar. Its very rare that we find new tiki bars opening up so im really pulling for them. I think that design-wise its at the end of the class, but I wish they'd pay more attention to perfecting the craft of truly great cocktails.

If I do come back to this bar it will have to be on a different day of the week or a different time of day. Saturday nights don't seem to be very tiki at LA tiki bars....

Tonga Hut, North Hollywood
March 1, 2015, 6:09 PM
I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in this bar after all I've heard about it.

The decor was fantastic. Dark, moody, exotic. I loves the little booth huts. The bartender, Ian, seemed pretty knowledgeable about rums and tiki culture so that was nice. However, the crowd was a little more rockabilly than true tiki.

The biggest problem was the jukebox playing classic rock too loudly. That really ruins what could otherwise be a truly encompasssing tiki experience and just made me want to down my drink and get out of there as soon as possible.

Rating: 4.9

Tiki-Ti, Los Angeles
March 1, 2015, 5:00 PM
I have to agree with "NYC Tiki" here. I visited this bar once about 10 years ago and my husband and I were really excited to revisit this institution now that I'm more involved in tiki culture.

We were extremely disappointed.

First, we could smell the cigar and cigarette smoke before we even entered the building... but even before that we could here the music blasting.

The decor was great, and the drink selection seemed great as well. I say it seemed great because we never got to experience them for ourselves. The smoke and the music annoyed us within minutes and we chose to cut our losses and try somewhere else instead.

I rated this experience a 3.3.

February 23, 2015, 5:24 PM
The menu is limited but more than adequate for snacking. The few original drinks they have a pretty good and they do well with the classics. They are finally selling mugs as well with their name on them. They also let you buy tiki mugs without their logo, but in a unique shape (ex: shark). I miss the Kahiki, but the Grass Skirt is the best thing to come to Columbus in a long time when it comes to tiki

Don the Beachcomber, Huntington Beach