Recent Comments

This page is available as an RSS feed:
Hawaiian Village, Vancouver
May 28, 2015, 8:02 PM
Darn what a shame they are no longer around, used to go to the one in New Westminster, BC., all the time. It's very sad. I have not been to the restaurant in 25 years.

Hawaiian Village, Vancouver
May 28, 2015, 7:57 PM
Why isn't there a menu for the Hawaiian Village, Vancouver and New Westminster, BC, Canada?

May 18, 2015, 9:01 PM
Drove 300 miles to get here and had the worst drinks and service ever. The decor is quite good but other than that the ratings here are much too kind.

May 12, 2015, 11:07 AM
Worth checking out but your experience will differ greatly depending on whose tending bar.

Mahiki, London
May 12, 2015, 10:57 AM
Was denied entry by a snarky door girl for not being dressed 'sharp and casual' and the threatened to be removed. Only bar I've ever been denied entry to anywhere in the world. Head to the beachcomber instead, the guys there were awesome.

Tiki Taky, Praha
May 11, 2015, 10:29 AM
Great tiki bar in źiźkov. Small but great vibes and good drinks. Try the 'spank my purple pineapple monkey ass '. Also the only place I've visited that makes an absinth tiii cocktail.

Voodoo Room, Los Angeles
May 8, 2015, 8:40 AM
Interestingly, Lisa Vanderpump's "Pump Restaurant" is now in this location. She must have expanded the patio area quite a bit based on what I've seen on her show.

Dirty Dick, Paris
May 1, 2015, 1:56 PM
Fun place and strong drinks. Dark with a great atmosphere, it's an unexpected oasis in the middle of Paris (just minutes from the Moulin Rouge). A "must visit" for any tikiphile!

April 28, 2015, 1:05 AM
My dad used to be a valet at Kahiki in the 1960s. Back then everyone wore formal attire and it was very classy. Over the years it became more of a family-style restaurant.

My family had numerous birthdays, anniversaries and celebrations there. Any time we had visitors in from out of town we'd take them to Kahiki. My husband and I even had our wedding rehearsal dinner there in 1999.

Like most other locals, we were really sad to see Kahiki go. It was a very special place for us. Thankfully we have some pictures of our fun times there and lots of great memories.

Thanks for sharing the information and photos you have on Kahiki. It was such a unique place and I'll never forget it.

April 25, 2015, 9:39 AM
It was known as Mark Thomas' Outrigger from '86 to '90, I frequented it when I was stationed at (then) Fort Ord.

It had a great bar, so-so food, and a pretty good weekend scene.

Best feature, glass floors (well, windows), with lighting to watch the surf roll in under the diners.

Trader Vic's, London
April 14, 2015, 2:28 PM
Drinks are great and the Decor is excellent. A must see.

Mahiki, London
April 14, 2015, 2:26 PM
Don't go unless you want to be treated rudely. They have no idea what Tiki is all about. Basically a night club with some Tiki decor. Drinks are over priced and suck.

April 9, 2015, 12:18 PM
It closed permanently! Sad

Hale Pele, Portland
April 7, 2015, 9:56 PM
The drinks are wonderful- there's an emphasis on drink history in the menu, and my friends thrilled to the thunder and smoke that would issue forth from the booths every so often. An impressive amount of carvings too. I had the Q.B.Cooler and was not disappointed!

Ports of Call, Toronto
April 4, 2015, 8:10 PM
I went to Ports of Call in 1966 when I was a very bright observant and impressionable nine year old from a town outside Chicago. The occasion was my family's first vacation trip to the Georgian Bay, but first, we had to stop and see my father's Aunt Florence who lived within walking distance of Ports of Call on Baker Street in Toronto. I wasn't a complete stranger to swank, but my father protested vociferously when she wanted to take us all to dinner there because of the expense. She won out and I remember I was glad because the place looked very cool and posh to me from the outside. AS I recall, there was a small flight of wrought iron steps up or down to the restaurant, and upon entering, there was a dark tropical atmosphere and a wooden footbridge across running water. We were greeted and escorted across the water to one of the rooms, all tricked out with shells, nets, floats, tikis and who knows what. They gave us huge menus and we kids got drinks with umbrellas. I have no idea what we ate but I know my dad mellowed out so he must have had one of the rum drinks. I absolutely never forgot my visit to Ports of Call, and when I finally revisited Toronto in 2009, I think it was (Michael Jackson died while I was there)I went back there to show my husband my long-deceased Aunt's former home and to see if by some long shot Ports of Call was still there. Of course it was not. I was thinking about Ports of Call tonight, don't know why, and found this website. That's when I suddenly realized that Ports of Call was my very first Tiki Place ever. In my youth, I always loved a tiki place and gravitated to them. I still do. In Chicago I hit Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vic's, and House of Tiki repeatedly. Just a couple of years ago I went to Disney World in Orlando where we visited Polynesian Village and ate at their Polynesian Restaurant with fire, meat on a spit, drinks afire and semi naked dancing men. Really pretty good. Tiki is alive and well in Las Vegas, but thanks, Toronto, for being the first to turn me on to it.

The Castaways, Miami Beach
March 30, 2015, 11:44 PM
I worked 9 months at the Castaways in 1973/74 as a lifeguard at the island Pool ( location of the Wreck Bar and Inner Circle), then as a bellhop (better money). I was 23 and had a great time! Lot's of memories and stories! Ie: Owner Joe Hart with his bright blue contacts, cruising around every day, wild man and head lifeguard Jimmy Styron, Bartender Stanley, eccentric portrait artist Richard Remington Fitch with his sea doggies (little dirty terriers with a pelican feather glued to the top of their heads, sticking straight up, and of course his 1928 Hispano-Suiza ('65 mustang convertible highly chopped up with a weird gril), caricature artistss Cal and Trey Surtees, Island Pool high diver Rick White, Andy, the smart ass hotel clerk, who
Over berating guests (he was a good guy, really fun to watch!), Bell Captain Tony Derosa from Brooklyn ( a true character who grew up with Jackie Gleason), belllman brothers from Jersey, Ray and Gerry Donnelly, Wreck Bar rock musicians from San Fran, Crazy James and Pete Miller, Lenny Bruce movie actors, and plenty of fine girls from all over.....mainly snowbirds from the northeastern US, Canada, Europe, South and Central America, and occassionally from way out west or the deep south. And that's just to name a few!

The Castaways, Miami Beach
March 30, 2015, 11:35 PM

March 22, 2015, 8:06 PM
went St Paddys' day and ordered the standard Mai Tai. perhaps my tastebuds were not recovered from my flight from seattle, but it was not tasty. Very busy place, so the locals like it or maybe just the waitresses. The Pioneer Inn in Lahaina serves a wicked Mai Tai and the scrimshaw t-shirt and the fact that the place is 100 years old and very tiki in that it is on the dock of Lahaina in Maui should rate a visit, plus the parrot in the bar wolf whistling is a classic

March 13, 2015, 1:41 PM
Small tiki bar in a very modern strip mall. There's some cool lit up thatch over the back wall which also includes flat screen tv's that thankfully only show waves gently breaking on a beach. The decor behind the bar was far too cartoonish. This combined with a severe lack of clutter threw off a Disney/Ikea vibe. Music was solid and leaned more in the surf direction rather than exotica.

Mai-tai was decent and came with a orange slice and sprig of mint. Tasted better as the ice melted.. and at $13 it was a bit pricey for what it was.

But hey.. if you're in Charlotte and dig tiki then this is your spot!

March 12, 2015, 3:36 PM
It's much smaller than i expected, which was a little disappointing to be honest, but it was very atmospheric. I was kinda bummed they don't stay open past 12 on the weekend either, but beggars cant be choosers haha! Definitely worth a visit~

Mai-Kai, Fort Lauderdale
March 11, 2015, 9:03 AM
Love Love Love this place. I have visit this place many many times. I grew up in Ft Lauderdale and use to go to the Mai Kai all the time for happy Hour and dinner. Went for a visit last year and still as beautiful as I remembered it

Trader Vic's Lounge, Beverly Hills
March 8, 2015, 1:35 AM
I wish I could have seen the old Trader Vic's. It closed a few months before I moved here. But I'm not one to get bent out of shape about decor - some of the best tiki drinks I've ever had were from bars with marble, glass and stainless steel fixtures. I like the style of cocktails and this place most certainly gets it.

Its odd that though LA invented the damn concept we cannot seem to sustain a true tiki bar anywhere. Maybe we like customer turnover whereas tiki bars encourage lounging.

In any case, they should start calling this place Traitor Vic's so all the tiki purists will know not to expect too much from the decor and we can all just focus on how good the drinks are. Trade Vic's Crog (my menu called it that anyway) is dynamite and Pino Pepe is solid too. Will most assuredly be back because I am willing to bet most of the menu is beyond competent.

March 8, 2015, 1:23 AM
Whatever their drink with passion fruit is, I can still taste it. This is the memory I cling to rather than the sugary punches. Amazing glassware. Amazing atmosphere and entrance. I am dying to go back.

Tiki-Ti, Los Angeles
March 8, 2015, 1:21 AM
NYC Tiki is correct that it's not classic Tiki but I guess I have never noticed. Never noticed the music, either. I lean much more toward the positive reviews. The Mikes are great, the atmosphere is great, the drinks are... really kinda their own thing. They aren't as bright and fruity as the best tiki-style drinks I've had. Drink-wise this is more of a Frankie's in Vegas than a Three Dots and a Dash. But damn it, everyone needs to visit this bar. Bring enough spine to get past "the smoke and the music" because bars are for drinking and this bar does drinks well.

Mai-Kai, Fort Lauderdale
March 8, 2015, 1:11 AM
Basically perfect. This is the first tiki bar I ever went to - went with other counselors during a summer camp. I was 21, it was amazing. The decor, the darkness, the size, the gardens out back... just unreal.

El Polinesio, Havana
March 2, 2015, 6:54 PM
My California band toured Havana and western Cuba last week (2/14/15) - one of our horn players is a bigtime Tiki fanatic, so we had to make a visit to this place -it was just two blocks from our hotel.

True, the decor is still pretty good, but the drink menu was very limited. Even though there were quite a few "Tropical" drinks on the menu, they couldn't make ANY of them! No blender! We were reduced to the choices on the standard cocktail menu, which turned out to be basically a G&T or a few variations on a Cuba Libre. Not even a Mojito or Pina Colada - standard drinks in almost every bar in Havana... very disappointed.

It was sort of like the Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch, if you know what I mean.

Tiki No, North Hollywood
March 1, 2015, 6:19 PM
The decor in this bar is amongst the best I've seen. Really fun to just look around and see what you can see. I was a bit disappointed by the limited drink selection, as well as the quality of the drinks. We ordered a mai tai and a Lychee Luau. We had to send the mai tai back for being pretty much undrinkable. The Lychee Luau was not bad, but a little on the syrupy side.

The ambiance was great of all you're looking for I'd the visual. Unfortunately, one must also take music into account and this bar left much to be desired for me musically. I mean, Aretha Franklin is great... but not in a tiki bar.

I want only good things for this bar. Its very rare that we find new tiki bars opening up so im really pulling for them. I think that design-wise its at the end of the class, but I wish they'd pay more attention to perfecting the craft of truly great cocktails.

If I do come back to this bar it will have to be on a different day of the week or a different time of day. Saturday nights don't seem to be very tiki at LA tiki bars....

Tonga Hut, North Hollywood
March 1, 2015, 6:09 PM
I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in this bar after all I've heard about it.

The decor was fantastic. Dark, moody, exotic. I loves the little booth huts. The bartender, Ian, seemed pretty knowledgeable about rums and tiki culture so that was nice. However, the crowd was a little more rockabilly than true tiki.

The biggest problem was the jukebox playing classic rock too loudly. That really ruins what could otherwise be a truly encompasssing tiki experience and just made me want to down my drink and get out of there as soon as possible.

Rating: 4.9

Tiki-Ti, Los Angeles
March 1, 2015, 5:00 PM
I have to agree with "NYC Tiki" here. I visited this bar once about 10 years ago and my husband and I were really excited to revisit this institution now that I'm more involved in tiki culture.

We were extremely disappointed.

First, we could smell the cigar and cigarette smoke before we even entered the building... but even before that we could here the music blasting.

The decor was great, and the drink selection seemed great as well. I say it seemed great because we never got to experience them for ourselves. The smoke and the music annoyed us within minutes and we chose to cut our losses and try somewhere else instead.

I rated this experience a 3.3.

February 23, 2015, 5:24 PM
The menu is limited but more than adequate for snacking. The few original drinks they have a pretty good and they do well with the classics. They are finally selling mugs as well with their name on them. They also let you buy tiki mugs without their logo, but in a unique shape (ex: shark). I miss the Kahiki, but the Grass Skirt is the best thing to come to Columbus in a long time when it comes to tiki

The Galley, Santa Monica
February 23, 2015, 5:18 PM
Not a tiki bar per se, but apparently the oldest restaraunt in Santa Monica. My wife and I enjoyed sitting at the bar and chatting with the bartender. The chili was good. Not many original drinks, or a mug though unfortunately.

Tonga Hut, North Hollywood
February 23, 2015, 5:14 PM
Made it here from Vegas with one hour left on my birthday, and what an hour it was. Great service and great tasting drinks (reccomend Voodoo Juice and Mojave Punch). They even have mugs now, including a rum barrel.If you are in the area, stop in have a few and take a selfie next to the "drooling bastard" fountain!

February 22, 2015, 6:42 PM
Ok - So it is not original. And there can be a wait sometimes. The food also is not that great or extensive. But still, the best Tiki Bar in the LA area. It is decorated to the hilt, has all original drinks in the glasses (that you can bring home). The music is all classic tiki and rain storms make it a treat. I cannot wait until this place opens up in Orlando, as I will be a regular. Definitely a spot that is keeping the tiki spirit alive.

Tiki-Ti, Los Angeles
February 22, 2015, 6:40 PM
I am not sure what all the great reviews are about. Having been to Tiki bars around the world, I would say this is OK, but for LA was a bit of a let down. First off, you can smoke inside. I am past that, as a few other favorites (Bahi Hut) allow this, but the place also was a bit of a dive bar more than a classic tiki joint. It was more dingy than classy, which goes after the wrong type of tiki style. And the music was not classic tiki music. Drink selection was good, but the place was tiny and did not transport to a polynesian paradise. So if your just into drinking, its good but for classic tiki, so so.

Trader Vic's Lounge, Beverly Hills
February 22, 2015, 6:37 PM
So I was recently in LA and decided to drop by at this spot. First off, it is annoying you need to pay to park. Regardless I came in for a drink. First off, the good. It is a nice spot indoor / outdoor with some tiki style and the classic Trader Vic's drinks in a mug. They have a small polynesian menu as well. But for the bad, the place is a bit generic now and does not have a true tiki vibe. I also wish, because of how special the original spot was here, that they kept some more memorabilia. I don't think I will be back, but glad I saw the spot. The gift shop should sell some merchandise but does not. No music, no special shirts...I hope they see the error of their ways and go back to the glory days of LA tiki

February 18, 2015, 6:52 AM
this is a must see when going to the magic kingdom. so glad Disney "mostly" restored it to it's original theme.

Mai-Kai, Fort Lauderdale
February 18, 2015, 6:46 AM
Whenever I need a mini vacation from life-I go to the Mai Kai. As a S Fla resident-I have the luxury of being able to just pop down to Ft Lauderdale for the weekend & make the Mai Kai the center of my lost weekend. It is like coming home. From the décor to the staff, the drinks & the food all work to transport you to a south seas paradise. Be sure to go to the gardens before you leave-you won't be disappointed.

February 18, 2015, 6:34 AM
I live close to the original tiki bar. while there is nothing inherently "tiki" about this bar/restaurant, they have made efforts to add some Polynesian & Florida style tikis to their Florida beach bar in addition to some cheap import tikis & masks. There is also very lovingly carved tiki at the Cobb's Landing restaurant across the marina from the Original Tiki Bar. Over all-I wouldn't go out of my way to come here for the food, drinks or tikis, but if you happen to find yourself here...the beer is cold.

Kanaloa, London
February 17, 2015, 11:50 AM
We visited last week. The place looks terrific -- plenty of tikis and old-school décor. The lighting and drinks menu are both good. The drinks themselves are pretty good, and nicely presented (one came in a real coconut with a lit sparkler).

The food is mediocre, a combination of bar food and some Thai specialties (which I might have counted as a nod to pan-Asian tikiness, except I saw that same combination of burgers and Thai food in our hotel's non-tiki restaurant -- it seems to be popular in London).

The music is modern club music, and the crowd is mostly young club-goers, not tikiphiles. The staff was very welcoming and gave us both leis (we were the only ones in the place wearing them).

February 16, 2015, 12:59 PM
The Hapa Haole Hideaway is the quintessential home tiki bar experience, with a world-class collection on display and drinks par excellence. Exacting and minutely-executed to within an inch of its life. Consider yourself blessed by the gods to be invited inside!

February 16, 2015, 12:47 PM
I really like the cocktails at the Tiki Hideaway. You can tell that they put a lot of effort into creating the traditional cocktail ingredients from scratch. Both the housemate orgeat and falernum are amazing and really anchor the different cocktails they inhabit. I was amazed to learn that some of my friends do not like rum... well Tiki Hideaway had them covered with several cocktails based on different spirits. I have not had every item on the food menu, but what I have had has been excellent and tasted great.

The atmosphere is great and true to the Tiki Culture. Already looking forward to my next visit.

Mai-Kai, Fort Lauderdale
February 16, 2015, 9:34 AM
Words cannot do justice to this total delight to all the senses. Drop whatever travel plans you have right now and book a flight...it's the experience of a lifetime for people of all ages. The Mai-Kai has been impressing customers since 1954, and there's a reason they've been around for over five decades.

Trader Vic's, Atlanta
February 16, 2015, 9:29 AM
I've finally worked my way through the entire cocktail menu, and I'm ready to start over. Don't forget the Bananas Foster! My best-of choice for Georgia. Bring back the Bongo Bongo soup!

The Omni Hut, Smyrna
February 16, 2015, 9:28 AM
I had heard great things about the Omni Hut over the years, and I'm glad to say that they were all 100% accurate. For atmosphere, it can't be topped (outside of Trader Vic's or the Mai Kai), and our meal was spectacular. The bacon-pineapple bits on the puupuu platter are amazingly tasty, and made a believer out of me. We want to go back to get the steak, one day. It's also a great art destination, as they have an extensive collection of authentic Polynesian carvings & modern Poly-Pop additions, some carved by the owner's family. Do yourself a favor and take that road trip with the family: there's something at the Omni Hut for all ages to be amazed by.

February 16, 2015, 9:16 AM
Bringing the original to Tiki culture while revering its tradition is a feat accomplished by very few these days, as I've had occasion to remind so many. Mike Barrea & his wife have done just that—and then some—with their new Tiki Hideaway bar & restaurant in Charlotte, N.C.

The décor is the embodiment of Polynesian Pop, a deft blend of fundamental Tiki motifs with modernist tweaks that both delight and inspire, and studiously avoids the distortion we've become so accustomed to in lesser efforts. When so many “tiki bars” consist of the plastic & the half-ass, The Tiki Hideaway sets the bar for East Coast Tiki with unmistakeable authority.

Our visit coincided with a special menu just for Valentine's Day, and so I'm not able to critique the standard fare, but our selections were top flight. I'm a pretty traditional kinda guy with a predictably guy's palate, but the small plates satisfied both my foodie wife and myself with substance and style. Solid but sophisticated, just like everything else about the joint. We're already planning a return trip (hopefully with friends) in a couple months, just to sample the rest of the menu. Executive Chef Allen Evans and his crew should be proud of what they've brought to food culture for their city: nothing in Charleston can top it.

We did manage to make a little more headway into the cocktail menu, however, which appears to somewhat rotational: we sampled from the menu (which featured a rum punch of the month), as well as from the completely different rollout menu. For those of you who have a preference for wine, they also feature an impressive selection (Barrea was initially considering a wine bar, his specialty), but you'd be cheating yourself by avoiding the more original concoctions.

The exacting bar staff start from scratch by making their own Orgeat and falernum, and tread the middle path between traditional Tiki recipes and their own creations. On hand are the essential Zombie, Mai Tai, Planter's Punch, Fog Cutter and Scorpion Bowl, but we veered toward more adventurous waters, starting with the ubermasculine Corn & Oil. Not for the faint palate, the blackstrap rum, falernum & lime juice blend sets a new course in flavor and strength, and should be a rite of passage in any Tikiphile's education. Also incorporating the blackstrap is the more delicate Jungle Bird, topped with an ingenious froth of eggwhite, and is a Malaysian recipe from 1978. I can also vouch for the Happy Buddha, the special Donga Punch, the Cradle of Life and the non-menu Professor's Love Affair. There is an entire roster of rollout recipes which we weren't able to sample, and which absolutely scream for a return trip.

It is a sad truth that quality is no guarantee of success in America, and it's even more true in Tiki cuisine. The Barreas' backstory is a fascinating one, and adds one more layer of respectability for what they've accomplished in The South's smartest city. Doing something this bold and this well in life can be a considerable risk, but let me tell you that if you dawdle on this experience, the risk is all yours. Not to diss on Vic or the Mai-Kai, but the totemic Tiki order in the Southeast has just shifted, and the gods have blessed us with a new place of worship.

Ignore the call at your peril.

February 15, 2015, 8:23 AM
My wife and I have been to the Tiki Hideaway twice. The food was very good and the drinks to die for. The place is so different from other spots we like. We appreciate the friendly service and will be back again and again. I have told my friends to check it out, you should too.

February 14, 2015, 11:28 AM
Special place, special people!!
Unique and relaxing...what more could one ask for in a getaway !!

Aku Aku, Orlando
February 13, 2015, 7:43 PM
Great atmosphere, tasty drinks! Only thing missing is signature tiki mugs!

Trader Vic's, London
February 13, 2015, 1:42 AM
So this is one of my favorite Tiki joints in the world. It was the first Trader Vic's outside of the US and it looks like it hasn't changed in a bit. At the edge of Mayfair, along the park and downstairs from an old Hilton is this gem. Hit the bar up for some real classic tiki drinks in the traditional mugs (for each drink ordered). Marvel at the original decor and feel the vintage vibe. Music is often hosted and dinner is an elegant (albeit expensive) affair. When I am in London, I always pop by here to get away from it all and remember the experience people looked to bring to London after World War 2. Very cool spot

The Castaways, Miami Beach
February 9, 2015, 3:20 PM
I stayed at the Castaways with a group of girls when we were in college, 1970. Met Frankie Valli who was also staying at the Castaways, but I was not was he was looking for, still being a virgin...So sad it's gone. Great memories!!

Tiki-Ti, Los Angeles