Recent Comments

This page is available as an RSS feed:
September 21, 2014, 9:32 AM
This is a must see! Just has the right feel!

Oceanic Arts, Whittier
September 20, 2014, 10:11 PM
Just spectacular!

September 19, 2014, 7:29 AM
Drove by here a thousand times before I ever decided to eat here. I convinced myself that if the experience inside was even half as good as the exterior suggested I would be satisfied.

Verdict: It's a adequate-but-just-barely suburban Chinese restaurant. Bland interior. Sauces heavy on food coloring and corn starch. It's a restaurant made for takeout, not eating in.

September 19, 2014, 7:17 AM
My stop at City Bev yesterday was brief, a side excursion on a bigger trip to Raleigh. First impressions were great; though the decor was more spaceage bachelor pad than tiki, tiki interests were serviced, and it's clear the management takes care to keep everything in good condition.

My only drink order was a Missionary's Downfall, which dropped my assessment of the total experience just a bit. The menu touts it's DtBc's recipe, although my copy of BEACHBUM REMIXED indicates peach brandy, not peach liqueur, but what's it matter because all I could taste in the thing was a bit of pineapple juice through overpowering candy peach flavor. (To eat I had the fish tacos, which were pretty good.)
There are other tiki tips on the menu, and I'm sad there was no time to try another and give chance for a better result. But the next time I'm in the area I'm certain to drop by, hoping for a longer visit.

September 14, 2014, 11:53 AM
This location is essentially closed. The Marriott remains, but they have removed all the Tiki statues. The drinks from the bar there are what you would expect from Cocktails & Dreams.

Hôtel-Motel Coconut, Trois-Rivières
September 7, 2014, 8:09 PM
Great original decor! I spent at least an hour just walking around looking at all the vintage items both in the bar and the lobby but also around the grounds. Drinks were ok, mugs are pretty run of the mill. Music was pop unfortunately. It's a shame this place hasn't been able to stay completely true to it's Tiki heritage but since it is a little out of the way I'm sure they have made some compromises. Worth a visit for the decor alone. I'm glad they have stayed in business as long as they have. I stayed in the motel which is clean but a little dated. It will still be a regular stop for me when I travel to the east coast.

September 7, 2014, 7:57 PM
Love this place! Great drinks,music on the juke box and decor is awesome! It was the highlight of my trip to Vegas. If it was closer to my hotel I would have been here every night. Picked up some great mugs too! No visit to Vegas is complete without a visit to Frankie's Tiki Room.

Hawaiian Room, Bellflower
August 29, 2014, 7:03 PM
This place is closed.

Tiki Bob's Cantina, Greenville
August 22, 2014, 3:37 PM
This bar has been closed for a while. With a name that mixes Polynesian with Mexican no one wonders why it closed. Apparently a quasi strip bar with tiki décor. Closest real Tiki palace is Atlanta's Trader Vic's.

August 21, 2014, 10:22 PM
The Polynesian is where my obsession with Hawaiian music and Tiki began. Although I've never stayed as a guest, I've been regularly visiting since I was a small child and the excitement hasn't worn off yet. The music, the smell (if you've been you know what I'm talking about), the decor were fantastic up until recently. For the last few months the hotel has been undergoing some construction. There is a huge plywood box enveloping most of the lobby interior. Sadly the waterfall in the lobby won't be making it out alive this time (Disney has a long history of killing popular things all over the resort). I suspect it will look and feel totally different in there when it's done. Whether that will be a good, bad or neutral thing is yet to be seen. On the up side, Trader Sam's is coming! If the finished product is anything like the artist renderings, we're all in for a treat! Whatever becomes of the Polynesian, I'll love it just the same.

August 21, 2014, 10:00 PM
Made it out to Lucky Joe's this last week while visiting Milwaukee. AWESOME! The decor wasn't as dense as some more established bars, but it was SPOT ON. A lot of stuff from Oceanic Arts and a great look overall. Definitely a tiki bar in the classic style. Drinks were fantastic. All the classics were there as well as a number of modern spins. The music was more towards the surf/rockabilly side than exotica/traditional hawaiian, but still appropriate. Got to meet the owner Lee and talked tiki for a while. This guy really knows his stuff and appreciates everything that goes into a true tiki bar (super friendly too!). I can tell he put a lot of effort into it. I liked it so much I visited twice while I was in Milwaukee!

Surf N Shack, Capitola
August 19, 2014, 3:30 PM
The previous comment is incorrect. Surf N Shack is very much open. Hours are generally 10:30am to 6:30pm.

Tiki Tom's, Walnut Creek
August 15, 2014, 1:52 PM
Mitiki - since when is Walnut Creek across the estuary from Alameda? Your comments are clearly related to the Oakland version of Tiki Tom's, rather than the one in Walnut Creek that this page is about. And yes, I did actually go to both locations. And I stand by my review of the Oakland location.

As for this Walnut Creek location, I only went once and was not at all impressed by anything except the live hawaiian musicians who were playing the night I was there. The rest of it felt like a very cheap imitation sports/parrot-head (read: not real tiki) restaurant/bar.

Tonga Room, San Francisco
August 15, 2014, 1:42 PM
I just updated my critiki score of the Tonga Room based on my last couple visits. Since hiring a new chef and F&B manager, the food and beverages have improved greatly. So happy to see fresh juices and decent spirits rather than a bunch of store-bought bottles of flavored syrups behind the bar. I also noted that the service doesn't seem near as snarky as it has in earlier visits and the food options, even in the happy hour buffet, are better as well.

Hula Beach, San Clemente
August 15, 2014, 1:34 PM
This place was awesome! I bought a ton of stuff there and managed to leave some tapa print gift bags on the counter after I paid for them. I had stopped there when I was just passing through and didn't expect to be back, so I was ready to just write them off as a loss. But about 6 months later, I ran into one of their employees (perhaps a partner in the business) at a SoCal tiki event and she remembered me and said "Hey! Did you leave some stuff on our counter at the store when you were there a while back? Come by next time you're in town and we'll take care of it!" Sadly, I didn't make it back before they closed, but they were a good, honest, plentiful store of tiki yumminess!

Balhi Ha'i, San Francisco
August 15, 2014, 1:15 PM
What a lovely place to visit! Service, decor, atmosphere, and drinks are all top notch! I did originally take a point off the drink selection rating just because the proprietor is not really prepared to offer more than 2-3 cocktail options per night (which is totally understandable considering the limitations of the space and infrequency of demand), but I gave the point back for the exquisite selection of sipping rums. Seriously though, if you ever get an invitation to visit Humuhumu's haven of aloha, do yourself a favor and accept that invitation! It is one of the things I will miss when I move far, far away in coming months. Mahalo, Humuhumu, for your gracious aloha spirit!

August 15, 2014, 12:59 PM
I love this place! Although the drinks are only pretty good, the food is quite good. Service is always friendly and efficient, and they didn't even seem annoyed when we asked to change tables because there was a terribly cold draft blowing right at the table where we were sitting. I always pick up a mug or bowl when I'm there and they are some of my favorites in my collection. I love when the bartenders really get into the spirit of the special drinks with the yelling and "misting" the patrons seated at the bar. Having been a fan of the Enchanted Tiki Room since the year it opened (yes, I'm that old), I love seeing the tikis at the corner of the bar and watching their eyes move as they survey the room. What a fun place!

August 15, 2014, 12:00 PM
Definitely more Modern than Tiki. Even a large percentage of the tiki mugs displayed were the more modern sleek-lined Munktiki mugs, rather than classic/vintage mugs. On the plus side: the food was great and plentiful; the tv in the bar was showing a Frankie & Annette surf movie; service was quick and friendly. I was there on a Tuesday night and it was definitely not busy. There were a few tables of people in the dining room and the patio was about half full.

I do prefer my tiki bars to be darker and more cluttered, but I would certainly go back for good food a really good prices if I were in the neighborhood. Not sure it's worth the cab fare from downtown Phoenix though for a return trip. But definitely worth going at least once if you haven't been.

Jade Island, Staten Island
August 8, 2014, 10:59 AM
Update on How to Find It: In the strip mall, the K-Mart has closed and is now a Target.

August 3, 2014, 9:57 AM
For me a good but light exibition...that not represent the power of this fashion in 50's and sixties....

I prefer the "the book of tiki" bough in 2000 than the tiki pop book of exhibition...

August 1, 2014, 3:32 AM
The Tiki Pop Exhibition at the Musee Quai Branly is a Tiki-lovers dream! I added a day in Paris while en route from Bangkok to Nice, solely to see this exhibition. It did not disappoint! Now I'm sitting down here on the French Riviera thinking about taking the TGV back up to Paris just to go through it again..... A must for any hard-core fan of Tiki!

Lakanuki, Mammoth Lakes
July 25, 2014, 10:17 PM
The website on this page is incorrect. The correct site can be found at http://www.lakanuki.net/

July 19, 2014, 7:52 AM
If you are already in the area, it is worth a visit, just to say you went, but as the previous commenter says - don't go for authentic tiki drinks.

July 19, 2014, 7:45 AM
The Honolulu was the only true, full bore Tiki place I got to enjoy in DC. In many ways it was a Trader Vic's for those of us who did not have expense accounts;) The decor and vibe were wonderful. It's been 10 years since the closing and I still think about the place often.

July 19, 2014, 5:33 AM
The Exotica quotient is up with Primativa in Hi-Fi doing every third Wednesday of the month.

July 16, 2014, 10:01 AM
Construction has recently started to renovate the Polynesian Resort. Among that changes will be the re-introduction of the word Village to the resort's title, the removal of the beautiful lobby fountain in favor of a more open Lobby aesthetic, and (my favorite part) a new interactive tiki bar called "Trader Sam's Grog Grotto".

Mar Vista Lanes, Los Angeles
July 15, 2014, 10:32 AM
Oh, that's terribly sad news.

Mar Vista Lanes, Los Angeles
July 14, 2014, 9:47 AM
According to Capt. R.H. Falernum on Tiki Central the tiki in the picture above has been stolen sometime around July 5, 2014. Bowlmor AMF, Inc announced in May 2014 that the Mar Vista Lanes would be undergoing massive renovations. Long time tenet Pepy's Galley Diner was forced to close on June 30, 2014.

July 6, 2014, 10:53 PM
ALOHA! My name is Lee and I am the owner here at Lucky Joe's. I would love for you to come check us out. I would also love to meet you, give you a proper tour, and talk tiki...please ask for me when you come in. Thank you! Lee G.

July 2, 2014, 4:30 PM
Bummed, they just recently updated the menu. Loved the Steak, which has been taken off the menu :(

Tahiti Joe's, Las Vegas
June 25, 2014, 1:09 PM
Visited Tahiti Joe's a couple times and enjoyed it. The original menu was more inspired than when they changed to standard american bar food but it was nice to have a tiki place to dine and drink if you stayed at Tahiti Village. Here's a link to one of Tahiti Joe's souvenir frosted tall glasses.

Chef Shangri-La, North Riverside
June 19, 2014, 3:54 AM
Went with some friends, and we all enjoyed every drink. 8 drinks done well in keeping to genuine tiki recipes. I appreciated that. And the decor was a lot of fun. We had kids with us, and they had a good time too.

June 7, 2014, 10:57 AM
I've been here several times as I live in Ohio. It's the best thing that has come down the chute since the Kahiki. The decor is fantastic and I love that the local tikiphiles gathered together to help with the carved tikis, masks, lamps, and that fantastic chandelier.

The food is an inventive twist on polynesian and everything I've had is quite good. If I had to pick a complaint about the food, it'd be nice to see a few more veggies in the dishes. I'm not a vegetarian but everything but the salads are a bit carb heavy and I'm trying to stay at least a little healthy. That said, LOVE the crab rangoons. I'm not sure if I've had SPAM before eating here but, all horror stories aside, their grilled SPAM and Swiss sandwich is da bomb. Cocktails, when I partake, are top notch and very worth the price.

The staff is incredibly friendly and very good at what they do. Even the customers there tend to be very talkative and outgoing with eachother. This place is great and I definitely recommend a visit here.

June 5, 2014, 12:19 PM
Carmen Owens, the co-owner and manager of the Grass Skirt Tiki Room, and her staff do an amazing job of making customers happy in this classic style tiki Shangri-La.
The food is wonderful, the drinks are outstanding, the decor is great and the staff is just as good. You will not be disappointed!

The Grass Skirt decor and drink advice were all by members of the Kahiki Chapter of the Fraternal Order of Moai. Lights, tiki carvings, stone tiki face with glowing eyes and many drinks recipes were made by Lena Stiers, Jimmy Robinson, Don Drennan and Matt Thatcher respectively.

June 1, 2014, 10:26 PM
Ridiculous! The neighborhood is fine, and the Islander itself is wonderful. I put it among the best tiki apartments I’ve seen so far, and I’ve seen quite a few now. I know it’s not as tiki as it once was, but there’s a lot left and it is well worth seeing. The entrance is an enormous A-frame. Underneath it is an intricate system of water features filling the air with soothing sound. A giant tiki stands guard amid a garden of flowers and tropical plants. To enter, the water must be crossed via a bridge guarded by more tikis. The pool area inside has a “Tiki Hut” recreation center.

June 1, 2014, 12:07 PM
We stopped by the Cabana while on the way to Seattle. My Mai Tai was one of the best and Allyson's Jet Pilot was spot on. We got the whole history for Robyn while we were there. It was too busy for meet Jason formally, but his cocktails were superb. This will now be a regular pitstop when heading north.

May 30, 2014, 10:43 PM
The Grass Skirt is an intimate, cozy, hip, mysterious tiki escape in the canyons of downtown Columbus. Although the outside is non-descript, the minute you step through the door you are instantly transported to an alternate exotica landscape...and isn't that what tiki bars are suppose to do?

The drink menu is one of the very best...and one of the most potent around! The Pineapple Grog is specifically unique and worth sampling. The zombie is one of the very best I have ever imbibed (and as a professional mixologist I have made and sampled many zombies!

The other thing that stood out more than the tikis was the genuine level of service from the Grass Skirt staff. Damn, they made me feel at home. And, venturing from Little Rock to Columbus, THAT is saying a lot! My visit to the grass Skirt was one of my very best tiki bar experiences. Maybe it was the trippy Tiki meets Mystery Science Theater decor, the potent grogs, or the Ohana. Whatever it was, the combined qualities of the Grass Skirt work together as well as the ingredients of that killer Zombie!!!

Adrift, Denver
May 30, 2014, 7:53 AM
Adrift is a very nice place..Friendly bartenders, a great Happy Hour, good food and great decor. The food is very good too. And when they say "Large" carved Tikis outside...that doesn't come close. They are GIANT. At least 12 ft tall, and there are 2 of them.

Munktiki, Portland
May 29, 2014, 8:14 PM
Visited when I was in Portland. Paul couldn't have been more awesome.

Paradise Club, Chicago
May 29, 2014, 7:58 PM
Kinda awesome, kinda sad. Looks to have been a pretty great place, but attempts to move away from tiki is evident. Bartender is interesting and informative and a glance at the original menu is worth the visit. There are some great elements of tiki past in this bar and it is well worth a visit. Has a neighborhood polish bar charm as an added bonus.

May 28, 2014, 3:14 PM
as usual a cool tiki place to go.

Tonga Hut, Palm Springs
May 27, 2014, 10:31 PM
Tonga Hut in Palm Springs is awesome!!!! With Danny doing the decor and so many other great contributors in the Tiki community such as Bosko, Kirby, Mandy&Chris Nelson. What more can I say. It's rad!!!

Don the Beachcomber, Huntington Beach
May 26, 2014, 2:18 AM
very nice place. a reaggea group was playing in another room, and karaoke was on the dagger bar, then a blues group came playing.
good music, nice people, really cool tiki deco.

but...
we ordered 6 cocktails,.... ans no mugs... my friend was happy of those 3, but my first one was good and the 2 other has been too acide. Cocktail are made before, stored in a plastic bottle and easily served in a glass with ice.
I use to go at the DAN TON KU tiki bar in Switzerland, and they make coktail on request...

service was so so ...

anyway, i ll be back

May 25, 2014, 10:25 PM
Great place. Jason is very knowledgeable about rums and recipes and a lot of fun to talk with. I've never had a chance to try the food but the bar is great. And their mugs are awesome.

May 24, 2014, 11:12 AM
Great cocktails. great decor. I echo Zoya's comment " they've done it right" I only wish it was twice the size!

May 24, 2014, 4:44 AM
I visited on a Saturday evening in March. The interior and the drinks reminded me very much of Foundation. They didn't just throw up some bamboo and call it tiki, they put some work into making a real tiki establishment. The bartender clearly knew what he was doing and cared about his craft. They had a nice collection of trade mugs from other tiki bars around the US on display behind the bar (I recognized some from Frankie's Tiki Room, Smugglers Cove and Three Dots and a Dash). If I remember the music correctly, it was more Mad Men then tiki (maybe some Rat Pack and Elvis and other random stuff). There were a fair number of random drunks in the bar, owing to its location in a trendy restaurant/nightlife district.

May 23, 2014, 5:49 PM
The Shameful Tiki Room was a labor of love long before it opened its doors to the public in March of 2013. Rod and Monica diligently did their research into past Tiki temples and picked the brains of several contemporary SoCal Tiki notables to make sure their lovechild was worthy to be included in places, well, like Critiki! And it is, believe me. From the minute you walk in the door it is a marvelous escape from the dismal weather Vancouver is famous for. The drinks are beyond exquisite. Alongside the 'usual' beverages you will find several house elixirs that are incredibly delicious (the same owners also own a bartender supply business in Chinatown - Modern Bartender - so are able to access the best of the best as far as ingredients go). The staff are terrific, talented and knowledgeable. The soundtrack is mainly surf and Exotica and they often have live bands on the weekends. To date I've seen some great surf bands, a pseudo-psychedelic group, a Bossanova/lounge group and a fab Rockabilly/Western Swing band. For free! They've recently started their own rum club complete with passport - no free vacations here but you do get a fab t-shirt and a plaque with your name on it mounted prominently on the wall. I seriously can't say enough good things about this place. They've managed to combine the best of the past with the pulse of the present. There are several Bosko pieces, some carvings done by the owner, glass float and pufferfish lamps a-plenty and a stunning vintage panel painted by the same artist who did the amazing Savage-esque murals at my beloved Waldorf in Vancouver. They've done it right - anyone who questions a Canadian Tiki bar should immediately renew their passports and head on over.

Chef Shangri-La, North Riverside
May 22, 2014, 9:39 AM
Had a whirlwind day in Chicago recently and Chef Shangri-La was part of it! Drinks were good, staff was great and seems in good hands with the new generation!

Bamboo Ben's Showroom, Huntington Beach
May 22, 2014, 9:02 AM
Bamboo Ben frequently exhibits at the International Tiki Marketplace event held every other month at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach. It’s a good place to meet him and see his work.

Hala Kahiki, River Grove
May 21, 2014, 9:37 AM
We go here once or twice a year, so probably have been a dozen times now. It's a tiki classic! Now with the Des Plaines Rivers casino nearby (quite nice) may get here even more often!

A few people here really hit the nail on the head... it *IS* a genuine tiki classic! Without a doubt, it's what a tiki bar should be decor-wise. That cluttered, tiki stuff everywhere feeling that you could spot new things around, behind and above the bar with each visit. The place seem intimate in each room, but there are many pockets and all decorated to the hilt. I love it for THAT reason alone.

Unfortunately, the music is terrible; a jukebox filled with everything from classic rock to classic rock. A few Elvis tunes, and a scant few oldies and Hawaiiany classics (meh, not enough). Sometimes too loud, sometimes too quiet.

I like the drinks okay and they definitely look authentic and tiki, but a bit weak, as others stated. The Scorpion, however, wowza. Packs a punch!

The service, for us at least, has been decent on our best day and beyond terrible on other visits. Slow, rude and downright absent. They have no food here and as busy as they may get, it's still relatively small? It is hard to navigate through a crowded, tight spaces, but still takes a really long time to get drinks on most weekend nights so order early is what we've learned.

Why do we come back? Simple: TIKI in abundance! It's all about that. Knowing their shortcomings we have learned to roll with it... it WILL be tough to a get a table on a weekend night. It will be a wait to get your drinks. It may not come with much of a smile. Bring CASH for the jukebox and program it with the right stuff (I spotted Andy Williams 'Blue Hawaii'!). I can't help it, we still love this place despite the negatives and will be back!

I hear they added a tiny bit of food now (been about a year, i think?).

Musée du Quai Branly, Paris