Recent Comments

This page is available as an RSS feed:
Surf N Shack, Capitola
August 19, 2014, 3:30 PM
The previous comment is incorrect. Surf N Shack is very much open. Hours are generally 10:30am to 6:30pm.

Tiki Tom's, Walnut Creek
August 15, 2014, 1:52 PM
Mitiki - since when is Walnut Creek across the estuary from Alameda? Your comments are clearly related to the Oakland version of Tiki Tom's, rather than the one in Walnut Creek that this page is about. And yes, I did actually go to both locations. And I stand by my review of the Oakland location.

As for this Walnut Creek location, I only went once and was not at all impressed by anything except the live hawaiian musicians who were playing the night I was there. The rest of it felt like a very cheap imitation sports/parrot-head (read: not real tiki) restaurant/bar.

Tonga Room, San Francisco
August 15, 2014, 1:42 PM
I just updated my critiki score of the Tonga Room based on my last couple visits. Since hiring a new chef and F&B manager, the food and beverages have improved greatly. So happy to see fresh juices and decent spirits rather than a bunch of store-bought bottles of flavored syrups behind the bar. I also noted that the service doesn't seem near as snarky as it has in earlier visits and the food options, even in the happy hour buffet, are better as well.

Hula Beach, San Clemente
August 15, 2014, 1:34 PM
This place was awesome! I bought a ton of stuff there and managed to leave some tapa print gift bags on the counter after I paid for them. I had stopped there when I was just passing through and didn't expect to be back, so I was ready to just write them off as a loss. But about 6 months later, I ran into one of their employees (perhaps a partner in the business) at a SoCal tiki event and she remembered me and said "Hey! Did you leave some stuff on our counter at the store when you were there a while back? Come by next time you're in town and we'll take care of it!" Sadly, I didn't make it back before they closed, but they were a good, honest, plentiful store of tiki yumminess!

Balhi Ha'i, San Francisco
August 15, 2014, 1:15 PM
What a lovely place to visit! Service, decor, atmosphere, and drinks are all top notch! I did originally take a point off the drink selection rating just because the proprietor is not really prepared to offer more than 2-3 cocktail options per night (which is totally understandable considering the limitations of the space and infrequency of demand), but I gave the point back for the exquisite selection of sipping rums. Seriously though, if you ever get an invitation to visit Humuhumu's haven of aloha, do yourself a favor and accept that invitation! It is one of the things I will miss when I move far, far away in coming months. Mahalo, Humuhumu, for your gracious aloha spirit!

August 15, 2014, 12:59 PM
I love this place! Although the drinks are only pretty good, the food is quite good. Service is always friendly and efficient, and they didn't even seem annoyed when we asked to change tables because there was a terribly cold draft blowing right at the table where we were sitting. I always pick up a mug or bowl when I'm there and they are some of my favorites in my collection. I love when the bartenders really get into the spirit of the special drinks with the yelling and "misting" the patrons seated at the bar. Having been a fan of the Enchanted Tiki Room since the year it opened (yes, I'm that old), I love seeing the tikis at the corner of the bar and watching their eyes move as they survey the room. What a fun place!

August 15, 2014, 12:00 PM
Definitely more Modern than Tiki. Even a large percentage of the tiki mugs displayed were the more modern sleek-lined Munktiki mugs, rather than classic/vintage mugs. On the plus side: the food was great and plentiful; the tv in the bar was showing a Frankie & Annette surf movie; service was quick and friendly. I was there on a Tuesday night and it was definitely not busy. There were a few tables of people in the dining room and the patio was about half full.

I do prefer my tiki bars to be darker and more cluttered, but I would certainly go back for good food a really good prices if I were in the neighborhood. Not sure it's worth the cab fare from downtown Phoenix though for a return trip. But definitely worth going at least once if you haven't been.

Jade Island, Staten Island
August 8, 2014, 10:59 AM
Update on How to Find It: In the strip mall, the K-Mart has closed and is now a Target.

August 3, 2014, 9:57 AM
For me a good but light exibition...that not represent the power of this fashion in 50's and sixties....

I prefer the "the book of tiki" bough in 2000 than the tiki pop book of exhibition...

August 1, 2014, 3:32 AM
The Tiki Pop Exhibition at the Musee Quai Branly is a Tiki-lovers dream! I added a day in Paris while en route from Bangkok to Nice, solely to see this exhibition. It did not disappoint! Now I'm sitting down here on the French Riviera thinking about taking the TGV back up to Paris just to go through it again..... A must for any hard-core fan of Tiki!

Lakanuki, Mammoth Lakes
July 25, 2014, 10:17 PM
The website on this page is incorrect. The correct site can be found at http://www.lakanuki.net/

July 19, 2014, 7:52 AM
If you are already in the area, it is worth a visit, just to say you went, but as the previous commenter says - don't go for authentic tiki drinks.

July 19, 2014, 7:45 AM
The Honolulu was the only true, full bore Tiki place I got to enjoy in DC. In many ways it was a Trader Vic's for those of us who did not have expense accounts;) The decor and vibe were wonderful. It's been 10 years since the closing and I still think about the place often.

July 19, 2014, 5:33 AM
The Exotica quotient is up with Primativa in Hi-Fi doing every third Wednesday of the month.

July 16, 2014, 10:01 AM
Construction has recently started to renovate the Polynesian Resort. Among that changes will be the re-introduction of the word Village to the resort's title, the removal of the beautiful lobby fountain in favor of a more open Lobby aesthetic, and (my favorite part) a new interactive tiki bar called "Trader Sam's Grog Grotto".

Mar Vista Lanes, Los Angeles
July 15, 2014, 10:32 AM
Oh, that's terribly sad news.

Mar Vista Lanes, Los Angeles
July 14, 2014, 9:47 AM
According to Capt. R.H. Falernum on Tiki Central the tiki in the picture above has been stolen sometime around July 5, 2014. Bowlmor AMF, Inc announced in May 2014 that the Mar Vista Lanes would be undergoing massive renovations. Long time tenet Pepy's Galley Diner was forced to close on June 30, 2014.

July 6, 2014, 10:53 PM
ALOHA! My name is Lee and I am the owner here at Lucky Joe's. I would love for you to come check us out. I would also love to meet you, give you a proper tour, and talk tiki...please ask for me when you come in. Thank you! Lee G.

July 2, 2014, 4:30 PM
Bummed, they just recently updated the menu. Loved the Steak, which has been taken off the menu :(

Tahiti Joe's, Las Vegas
June 25, 2014, 1:09 PM
Visited Tahiti Joe's a couple times and enjoyed it. The original menu was more inspired than when they changed to standard american bar food but it was nice to have a tiki place to dine and drink if you stayed at Tahiti Village. Here's a link to one of Tahiti Joe's souvenir frosted tall glasses.

Chef Shangri-La, North Riverside
June 19, 2014, 3:54 AM
Went with some friends, and we all enjoyed every drink. 8 drinks done well in keeping to genuine tiki recipes. I appreciated that. And the decor was a lot of fun. We had kids with us, and they had a good time too.

June 7, 2014, 10:57 AM
I've been here several times as I live in Ohio. It's the best thing that has come down the chute since the Kahiki. The decor is fantastic and I love that the local tikiphiles gathered together to help with the carved tikis, masks, lamps, and that fantastic chandelier.

The food is an inventive twist on polynesian and everything I've had is quite good. If I had to pick a complaint about the food, it'd be nice to see a few more veggies in the dishes. I'm not a vegetarian but everything but the salads are a bit carb heavy and I'm trying to stay at least a little healthy. That said, LOVE the crab rangoons. I'm not sure if I've had SPAM before eating here but, all horror stories aside, their grilled SPAM and Swiss sandwich is da bomb. Cocktails, when I partake, are top notch and very worth the price.

The staff is incredibly friendly and very good at what they do. Even the customers there tend to be very talkative and outgoing with eachother. This place is great and I definitely recommend a visit here.

June 5, 2014, 12:19 PM
Carmen Owens, the co-owner and manager of the Grass Skirt Tiki Room, and her staff do an amazing job of making customers happy in this classic style tiki Shangri-La.
The food is wonderful, the drinks are outstanding, the decor is great and the staff is just as good. You will not be disappointed!

The Grass Skirt decor and drink advice were all by members of the Kahiki Chapter of the Fraternal Order of Moai. Lights, tiki carvings, stone tiki face with glowing eyes and many drinks recipes were made by Lena Stiers, Jimmy Robinson, Don Drennan and Matt Thatcher respectively.

June 1, 2014, 10:26 PM
Ridiculous! The neighborhood is fine, and the Islander itself is wonderful. I put it among the best tiki apartments I’ve seen so far, and I’ve seen quite a few now. I know it’s not as tiki as it once was, but there’s a lot left and it is well worth seeing. The entrance is an enormous A-frame. Underneath it is an intricate system of water features filling the air with soothing sound. A giant tiki stands guard amid a garden of flowers and tropical plants. To enter, the water must be crossed via a bridge guarded by more tikis. The pool area inside has a “Tiki Hut” recreation center.

June 1, 2014, 12:07 PM
We stopped by the Cabana while on the way to Seattle. My Mai Tai was one of the best and Allyson's Jet Pilot was spot on. We got the whole history for Robyn while we were there. It was too busy for meet Jason formally, but his cocktails were superb. This will now be a regular pitstop when heading north.

May 30, 2014, 10:43 PM
The Grass Skirt is an intimate, cozy, hip, mysterious tiki escape in the canyons of downtown Columbus. Although the outside is non-descript, the minute you step through the door you are instantly transported to an alternate exotica landscape...and isn't that what tiki bars are suppose to do?

The drink menu is one of the very best...and one of the most potent around! The Pineapple Grog is specifically unique and worth sampling. The zombie is one of the very best I have ever imbibed (and as a professional mixologist I have made and sampled many zombies!

The other thing that stood out more than the tikis was the genuine level of service from the Grass Skirt staff. Damn, they made me feel at home. And, venturing from Little Rock to Columbus, THAT is saying a lot! My visit to the grass Skirt was one of my very best tiki bar experiences. Maybe it was the trippy Tiki meets Mystery Science Theater decor, the potent grogs, or the Ohana. Whatever it was, the combined qualities of the Grass Skirt work together as well as the ingredients of that killer Zombie!!!

Adrift, Denver
May 30, 2014, 7:53 AM
Adrift is a very nice place..Friendly bartenders, a great Happy Hour, good food and great decor. The food is very good too. And when they say "Large" carved Tikis outside...that doesn't come close. They are GIANT. At least 12 ft tall, and there are 2 of them.

Munktiki, Portland
May 29, 2014, 8:14 PM
Visited when I was in Portland. Paul couldn't have been more awesome.

Paradise Club, Chicago
May 29, 2014, 7:58 PM
Kinda awesome, kinda sad. Looks to have been a pretty great place, but attempts to move away from tiki is evident. Bartender is interesting and informative and a glance at the original menu is worth the visit. There are some great elements of tiki past in this bar and it is well worth a visit. Has a neighborhood polish bar charm as an added bonus.

May 28, 2014, 3:14 PM
as usual a cool tiki place to go.

Tonga Hut, Palm Springs
May 27, 2014, 10:31 PM
Tonga Hut in Palm Springs is awesome!!!! With Danny doing the decor and so many other great contributors in the Tiki community such as Bosko, Kirby, Mandy&Chris Nelson. What more can I say. It's rad!!!

Don the Beachcomber, Huntington Beach
May 26, 2014, 2:18 AM
very nice place. a reaggea group was playing in another room, and karaoke was on the dagger bar, then a blues group came playing.
good music, nice people, really cool tiki deco.

but...
we ordered 6 cocktails,.... ans no mugs... my friend was happy of those 3, but my first one was good and the 2 other has been too acide. Cocktail are made before, stored in a plastic bottle and easily served in a glass with ice.
I use to go at the DAN TON KU tiki bar in Switzerland, and they make coktail on request...

service was so so ...

anyway, i ll be back

May 25, 2014, 10:25 PM
Great place. Jason is very knowledgeable about rums and recipes and a lot of fun to talk with. I've never had a chance to try the food but the bar is great. And their mugs are awesome.

May 24, 2014, 11:12 AM
Great cocktails. great decor. I echo Zoya's comment " they've done it right" I only wish it was twice the size!

May 24, 2014, 4:44 AM
I visited on a Saturday evening in March. The interior and the drinks reminded me very much of Foundation. They didn't just throw up some bamboo and call it tiki, they put some work into making a real tiki establishment. The bartender clearly knew what he was doing and cared about his craft. They had a nice collection of trade mugs from other tiki bars around the US on display behind the bar (I recognized some from Frankie's Tiki Room, Smugglers Cove and Three Dots and a Dash). If I remember the music correctly, it was more Mad Men then tiki (maybe some Rat Pack and Elvis and other random stuff). There were a fair number of random drunks in the bar, owing to its location in a trendy restaurant/nightlife district.

May 23, 2014, 5:49 PM
The Shameful Tiki Room was a labor of love long before it opened its doors to the public in March of 2013. Rod and Monica diligently did their research into past Tiki temples and picked the brains of several contemporary SoCal Tiki notables to make sure their lovechild was worthy to be included in places, well, like Critiki! And it is, believe me. From the minute you walk in the door it is a marvelous escape from the dismal weather Vancouver is famous for. The drinks are beyond exquisite. Alongside the 'usual' beverages you will find several house elixirs that are incredibly delicious (the same owners also own a bartender supply business in Chinatown - Modern Bartender - so are able to access the best of the best as far as ingredients go). The staff are terrific, talented and knowledgeable. The soundtrack is mainly surf and Exotica and they often have live bands on the weekends. To date I've seen some great surf bands, a pseudo-psychedelic group, a Bossanova/lounge group and a fab Rockabilly/Western Swing band. For free! They've recently started their own rum club complete with passport - no free vacations here but you do get a fab t-shirt and a plaque with your name on it mounted prominently on the wall. I seriously can't say enough good things about this place. They've managed to combine the best of the past with the pulse of the present. There are several Bosko pieces, some carvings done by the owner, glass float and pufferfish lamps a-plenty and a stunning vintage panel painted by the same artist who did the amazing Savage-esque murals at my beloved Waldorf in Vancouver. They've done it right - anyone who questions a Canadian Tiki bar should immediately renew their passports and head on over.

Chef Shangri-La, North Riverside
May 22, 2014, 9:39 AM
Had a whirlwind day in Chicago recently and Chef Shangri-La was part of it! Drinks were good, staff was great and seems in good hands with the new generation!

Bamboo Ben's Showroom, Huntington Beach
May 22, 2014, 9:02 AM
Bamboo Ben frequently exhibits at the International Tiki Marketplace event held every other month at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach. It’s a good place to meet him and see his work.

Hala Kahiki, River Grove
May 21, 2014, 9:37 AM
We go here once or twice a year, so probably have been a dozen times now. It's a tiki classic! Now with the Des Plaines Rivers casino nearby (quite nice) may get here even more often!

A few people here really hit the nail on the head... it *IS* a genuine tiki classic! Without a doubt, it's what a tiki bar should be decor-wise. That cluttered, tiki stuff everywhere feeling that you could spot new things around, behind and above the bar with each visit. The place seem intimate in each room, but there are many pockets and all decorated to the hilt. I love it for THAT reason alone.

Unfortunately, the music is terrible; a jukebox filled with everything from classic rock to classic rock. A few Elvis tunes, and a scant few oldies and Hawaiiany classics (meh, not enough). Sometimes too loud, sometimes too quiet.

I like the drinks okay and they definitely look authentic and tiki, but a bit weak, as others stated. The Scorpion, however, wowza. Packs a punch!

The service, for us at least, has been decent on our best day and beyond terrible on other visits. Slow, rude and downright absent. They have no food here and as busy as they may get, it's still relatively small? It is hard to navigate through a crowded, tight spaces, but still takes a really long time to get drinks on most weekend nights so order early is what we've learned.

Why do we come back? Simple: TIKI in abundance! It's all about that. Knowing their shortcomings we have learned to roll with it... it WILL be tough to a get a table on a weekend night. It will be a wait to get your drinks. It may not come with much of a smile. Bring CASH for the jukebox and program it with the right stuff (I spotted Andy Williams 'Blue Hawaii'!). I can't help it, we still love this place despite the negatives and will be back!

I hear they added a tiny bit of food now (been about a year, i think?).

May 21, 2014, 8:53 AM
Celebrated my birthday at Three Dots in April 2014 and invited the crew from 'Bad Shirt Good Times' (the Aloha shirt company I co-founded & market).

Same as what's been said prior: amazing tiki decor (took many pics that I'll post) and outstanding drinks and service! We got there shortly after it opened on a Saturday night. Already starting to get pretty busy with most tables taken. However, we got a nice low seated corner area and served immediately by a very friendly and knowledgeable waitress. Cute, friendly and fast - what else could you ask for? She helped us with our drink choices and we were on our way!

FOOD:
Practically ordered everything on the menu! Easier to say what we didn't like: the spring rolls were just so-so. The peanut dipping sauce made it better. The skewers were probably our second least favorite, but still decent. The top choice, was the TUNA CRISP... wow. Just WOW. Two orders of it and later ordered another! Pork belly buns were a close second (and we ordered seconds!). Great stuff! Allowed more "padding" for more cocktails!

Drinks... lots of em!
We all enjoyed the big skull punch bowl of Zombie Punch for sharing. Jaw dropping presentation. Everyone should start with that for that WOW factor. Tasted good too, but maybe a tad too floral for some in our party. *I* had to hold back not to drink too much so I could sample others to come! The signature Three Dots and a Dash drink went over big in our group, but probably the most ordered as a 2nd round was the Jet Pilot. Tried a wide array and everyone was raving about their own personal faves. Everyone wanted to come back!

So, about the crowds... yes, it got REALLY packed. REALLY busy and the music started to shift and become a bit clubby as the night went on, so much so that we had to exit. Not our thing. But I am sure that's a necessity to cater to the late night club crowd.

We WILL be back for sure! Get there VERY early on a Sat or hit it during the week, for sure.

NOTE: only a week after we were there, they changed up their drink menu! Looks even better so may have to go back sooner then later!

May 21, 2014, 2:45 AM
I recently had the pleasure of visiting Three Dots and a Dash on three separate days of a five day stay in Chicago. I have to say I was very impressed with my experience. Paul McGee is an expert barman, and he has trained his staff incredibly well. Cocktails were spot on and the staff was attentive and friendly. It is in River North, so you can expect to see a bit more of a night club or business clientele, so I do suggest being mentally prepared to order a drink and watch the wild animals do as they do. Sundays and Mondays are a bit slower, and those are also the nights Paul works behind the stick. They recently launched a new menu, two highlights for me were Don't Touch My Bikini, a genever based drink, and the wonderful No Bye, No Aloha which features gin. Make sure to get a banana daiquiri, the garnish is hilarious!

Hala Kahiki, River Grove
May 20, 2014, 6:29 PM
The décor of this place is wonderful inside and it is absolutely huge! Nice collection of Witco throughout the entire place.

The music is hit or miss, at times they played Hawaiian or Exotica, but it was mixed in with really bad 90's music.

Sadly, the drinks are terrible. I ordered a Mai Tai and it arrived within 30 seconds of ordering. This place totally uses a quick mix to shell out these drinks quickly, which was disappointing.

The gift shop had some fun items, but the women working the store was like a character from SNL and just kept talking and talking and talking about nothing.

If they had a real mixologist and hired people that actually cared about the tiki culture, this place could be magnificent. However, I will always stop in when I am in the area, especially since this place usually has a groupon for half off.

May 20, 2014, 5:23 PM
Well, I have to echo much of what the prior Critikers said. Avoid weekends, go early. The loud club atmosphere they adopt on Fridays and Saturdays is fairly horrific. If you go when other tikiphiles are there during quieter time, it is sublime.

The atmosphere is an amazing combination of modern subtlety and classic tiki kitsch. Meeting Paul McGee is a big plus too. Amazingly friendly and willing to chat about tiki. The classics and modern sides of the menu are both great, but the 3 Dots, Saturn and Jet Pilot stand out in my memory. The Poipui Boogie Board is much better there than when I attempt to make them at home (delicate bourbon balancing act, I think). And the house Mai-Tai is a joy as well. Check out The Whistler if you have time as well (where Paul McGee resided prior to 3 Dots).

Definitely make this tiki stop #1 in Chicago. FAR better than Hala Kahiki. Chef Shangri-La is worth a stop for old school, divey kitsch. And their drinks are not bad for the price. Dr. Fong is a good choice.

Souvenir mugs only available at the source. The original urchin mug is truly unique and well-made.

May 20, 2014, 4:27 PM
I agree with both of the above reviews:

Three Dots and a Dash is not only the best Tiki bar in Chicago (not saying much I admit) but just flat out one of the best bars in Chicago.

They just nailed it right from the get go. The entrance is perfect and lends a theatrical flair to everything (down an alley, through a nearly unmarked door, down the stairs under a wall of skulls awash in blue light... its perfect). The decor is both clearly tiki but modern at once. It just feels right and being in a windowless chamber allows them to control the ambiance and light... it is ALWAYS just the right time down there. The drinks are fantastic and made with care and quality ingredients and served in great mugs (most notably the custom Three Dots Sea Urchin). To top it off the staff are some of the most fun I have ever encountered. I am not shy when it comes to getting to know the people who work and my favorite places; they are after all a vital part of the experience. At Three Dots from the managers to the bus boys and everyone in between are really on top of their game. Three Dots employs several of my favorite servers bar none... just really nice people. Finally Paul McGee the partner/owner mixologist is a great guy. Giving of his time and deeply knowledgeable.

Oh yea... I almost forgot the actual menu... it is a physically large throw back to menus of the 60's with great illustrations of the drinks... both modern takes as well ad faithful classics (the origins of which are credited on the menu).

If you have even a passing interest in tiki places (of course you do if you are reading this) or even just a really fund place GO HERE.

Now there is a caveat.... as Wiki Tiki said the weekend is NOT the time to go. Go early on a weekday... go on a Sunday... make reservations... just be smart and prepared and you will love it.
On the weekends later at night it turns into basically a club because of its location (River North in Chicago is a club / tourist area for the most part)... but AVOID those times and have fun all the other times.

A+++

May 20, 2014, 4:09 PM
We were lucky enough to get in on a Saturday in October. There was already a short line outside waiting for the place to open at 5:00. We got seats at the bar (where we wanted to be anyway) and tried a few of the excellent drinks with beautiful garnishes. The pupus we tried (crab Rangoon and coconut shrimp) were also pretty good. We went back on a Saturday in March, arriving shortly after 5. There was a longer line outside, and the bar was already packed. The tables were all spoken for by parties with reservations. If you are coming on a Saturday, reservations are now a must, even early in the evening.

May 20, 2014, 3:23 PM
Best tiki drinks I've ever had. The presentation is 1st class. décor and ambiance top notch. The only down side is that it gets really busy on weekend nights. Go during the week.

May 20, 2014, 6:40 AM
The Oceanic art exhibit is not currently on display. It will be back in 2015.

May 19, 2014, 8:56 PM
On a recent drive from Texas back to California I stopped in Tucson for a little Tiki love and Kon Tiki was going to be my Oasis in the desert.
Drove up... looked right.
Stepped in... felt right
then...
Music... All wrong.
Bar... probably used to be right. Now it wants to be a local Sports Bar.
There was Tiki stuff on the menu but none of the drinks really tasted different. It was all just fruity junk with a shot of Rum.
The decor was really just what was left over from a era gone by. Feels more like stuff they left up cause it was to expensive to remodel. Sad Sad Sad. I was happy to get back to CA and The Bali Hai.

Kalyra by the Sea, Santa Barbara
May 19, 2014, 5:21 PM
There is also a great Kalyra tasting room at the winery itself in Santa Ynez, CA. Very beach shack - as seen in the movie Sideways!

Hong Kong Inn, Ventura
May 19, 2014, 5:19 PM
Hong Kong Inn reopened in Spring 2014 - complete with great food, tiki drinks, and Tina's Ports of Call Polynesian Review!

Musée du Quai Branly, Paris