Recent Comments

This page is available as an RSS feed:
The Golden Tiki, Las Vegas
October 9, 2015, 5:33 PM
Why this isn't on the list for best Tiki Bars for 2015 is beyond me. This is easily one of the top 5 in the world. This is a MUST SEE when you come to Vegas. The attention to detail is better than Disney good. It's downright amaze balls!

September 19, 2015, 8:57 PM
I can really recommend Latitude29 to anyone!

Lotus Garden, Greenwood
September 14, 2015, 10:10 AM
The eggrolls are the bomb, most everything else... isn't.

September 8, 2015, 3:55 PM
One thing to keep in mind about this version of Trader Sam's is that they have a separate supply of mugs to drink from and mugs to purchase. On the plus side this means that you can drink as many Krakatoa Punches from the cool mug without being forced to buy multiples. On the down side, this means that they can be out of stock of a certain mug to sell, while still having a supply that you can drink from but cannot buy.

This is different from the Trader Sam's at Disneyland. There when they run out of mugs to sell they wash and box the drinking mugs. On the plus side you aren't taunted by mugs you can drink from but can't buy. On the down side you cannot drink from a special mug without also committing to buying it. Ever.

The Islands, Phoenix
September 3, 2015, 2:06 PM
I loved The Islands! In an effort I suppose to increase revenue in the 70s, they rented out a section on Sunday mornings before opening time to a local church and I went to a 'coffee class' there. I was still in grade school and middle school. I used to just look around at everything!

When I turned 19 (then the legal drinking age), I went there as often as possible. It was difficult at best to talk my little friends into going with me! One brave girl went and actually liked it and would go with me for a drink before hitting the latest popular place for our age group. Whenever I went in there it was always just me and sometimes my friend and a 1/2 dozen 65+ guys slumped over the bar looking up at us with a curious squint as if to say - Why are these young girls in here? Am I THAT drunk!?- Ha! It was surreal to say the least.

There was an enormous black light painting of Diamond Head and shoreline behind the bar. It was SO beautiful! It had little pin lights shining through it as well. Very, very enchanting!

Lei Low, Houston
September 3, 2015, 11:46 AM
If you've never been to Lei Low in Houston and you're reading this within a 1163 mile radius of Houston, TX, you're CLEARLY missing out on the best bar experience you could have so start walking, riding, driving or flying to Lei Low. The most authentic tiki bar experience outside of Hawaii, California and Florida. Look it up, read the reviews, and check out the pictures!!! TEXAS... We're blessed to have this gem in our backyard!!! ON A SIDE NOTE: The only thing they are missing is their own tiki mug!

Lava Lounge, Madison
September 2, 2015, 5:14 PM
Agreed. I didn't realize the place had a Critiki listing until I saw BankyScout's comment. The other pseudo-tiki place near campus, The Tiki Shack on State Street, is more nearly tiki than the Lava Lounge, but only because the (figurative) bar is so low.

Don the Beachcomber, Huntington Beach
September 2, 2015, 12:01 AM
The pupus are the best reason to go here. The ceviche mini-tacos, sticky ribs and, occasionally, ti duck are some of the best food you'll find in the tiki kingdom. The drinks are a horrible letdown in comparison; watery with little difference in flavor. Stick to drinking your rum straight and you'll appreciate the pupus that much more.

August 25, 2015, 6:11 PM
No, we went to Minnie's as well. Minnie's was great. I don't have them confused. The Tiki standing guard, i was referring to, is the one that is the one in picture #8 above. I'll be heading back through town next month and do plan on stopping by again. If only to see if I'd missed something my first time and take a few photos, not necessarily for a drink.

August 23, 2015, 7:56 PM
I think you have the Tiki and Minnie's confused , The Tiki has never had black velvet paintings Minnie's has some . The same artist has some paintings on wood at the the Tiki . I'm not sure what TIKI STANDING GUARD at the entrance your referring to .... The back door is now the entrance and has not changed in thirty years . The booths are gone , please come back and critiki it in a few weeks .

Kona Club, Oakland
August 11, 2015, 4:03 PM
This mostly counts as my favourite dive that also happens to be a tiki bar. Music is by all accounts all over the place and depends on who's bartending and who's controlling the music. Besides that it's been a place to go after an Oakland A's loss (which is bittersweet as it happens more often nowadays).

August 10, 2015, 4:35 PM
Only open Tuesday through Saturday. Restaurant only open for private functions. I was in Omaha on a Monday. I don't know why some folks feel like hey can take Mondays. I have to work on Monday. So should you

Hale Pele, Portland
August 10, 2015, 12:38 PM
great place, if your a tiki lover and you really want to know how it was like once upon a time, try this place, and I am sure, if you have a cab ready or uber app, you will be fine , the next morn, wicked great cocktails, tasty appetizers, etc. can not go wrong.

The Mainlander, St. Louis
August 7, 2015, 8:24 PM
I worked at the Mainlander back in the mid 70's and again for Lautrec's. The Mainlander was not doing weel when the original owners came back and took over. Things went fairly well for almost a year and then down hill. It was closed and not long after a man named Richard Gordon opened Lautrec's. Actually Talouse Lautrec's. It did burn in 78 and was a total loss. The building set vacant for years and some time in the 90's and office building was erected.

August 7, 2015, 9:00 AM
I was in Charlotte last week for business and had an opportunity to visit the Tiki Hideaway twice and enjoyed it very much. When I have a business trip coming up, the first thing I do is get on-line and find out if there are any new or older Tiki destinations near by. I was delighted to see that this establishment had recently opened. My first visit was on a Thursday night and the place was hopping. There was a large group of single women and several smaller groups. I arrived with my two co-workers, one would be experiencing tiki for the first time and other had last experienced tiki as a child at both Trader Vic's and the Luau in Beverly Hills.
I was immediately struck by the vibe and the decor. It's a small space, but the owners have made the most of it. A lot of the usual details you expect in an authentic tiki bar were there - blowfish hanging from the ceiling, exotica music playing, mid-centry mod furniture, etc. When we were seated, we were immediately given a full color drink menu. Although a small selection of drinks, I was not disappointed because it kind of fit the size of the space and many of the classics were there (Mai Tai, Singapore Sling, Zombie)and at least one drink new to me - the Corn & Oil. The name of the latter drink was certainly unappetizing but it actually was an excellent concoction, as were all the drinks. I found out on my second visit that the bartender, Jason, is a veteran of Trader Vic's in Chicago, and from the first sip, I knew somebody skilled and most importantly, passionate about the art of the cocktail was mixing the drinks.
One of my colleagues was trying a tiki drink for the first time. He tried the Zombie and I think we made him a tiki convert. My other colleague, who had experienced tiki as a child, had warm memories rush return to her and she was excited to get back to her home base of LA and check out some of the remaining tiki establishments there.
For the food selections, there is also a small menu. Being ravenously hungry the first time I visited, I was a little disappointed that the portions where on the small size, but they were nonetheless delicious and very reasonably priced. In total, in both visits, I ended up trying the plantain chips, summer rolls, pigs ears, island bowl and big kahuna teriyaki burger. All were excellent.
On my second visit, I went solo and sat at the bar on a Saturday night and was happy to have a nice conversation with the co-owner Marie. She and her husband have traveled far and wide seeking out the best in tiki and have worked hard to bring it to Charlotte - a city devoid of any other trace of tiki - past or present. My hat is off to them for their efforts. It's not always an easy sell for the uninitiated, especially in the narrow-minded South, and they may have an uphill battle for a while, but if they keep the quality of the drinks and food up, I think the word will continue to spread. Tikiphiles everywhere need to support this effort so that it lasts. Don't miss this if you are anywhere near Charlotte. If you know people in Charlotte, tell them to check it out.

Hale Pele, Portland
July 29, 2015, 3:20 PM
So jealous of you Portland people! If I lived there I would be a regular. Was just there again for Tiki Kon 2015, excellent as always. My favorite drink there is the Lei Lanni Volcano, maybe on the lighter side, but it tastes sooo good.

July 28, 2015, 3:42 PM
I don't have much to add, but the server we had was super sweet to me and my aunt's. I love the decor, and it was great to be able to send photos to my folks who used to eat there all the time when they were my age! I can understand their hesitation to put money into it, but I think they'd attract the college kids if they at least did a once a month full tiki experience.

Fry's Electronics, Manhattan Beach
July 22, 2015, 9:14 PM
This place was better in the 90s when it was newer and better maintained. I used to love spending time at the diorama of their "Banana Train Island" in the middle of the video camera demo area. Rumored to be designed by ILM/Dreamworks it was once in better shape than it is now with tiny details of people, huts, boats, a working train all around a big volcano. More fun was had when they would allow folks to sit in the tiki themed theater for the Bose speaker demo.

The Tiki House, Pacific Beach
July 19, 2015, 11:09 AM
Check out the Catamaran Resort Hotel in Pacific Beach.3999 Mission Boulevard, San Diego. Try the Morey Mai Tai in their bar. The landscaping and view of Mission Bay is breathtaking.

Lava Lounge, Madison
July 18, 2015, 11:01 PM
This is a bar off of State St. on the UW campus that never really kept up the tikiness other than the name and some of the decor. The last time I was in there, the bartender didn't know how to make basic tiki drinks and they had only 2 rums.

July 18, 2015, 10:45 PM
The quality of the drinks here is the best I have personally experienced. Better than Mai-Kai, probably a little better than Tiki-Ti. Not a lot of especially stiff drinks but it's a great menu.

The decor is excellent because they took the time to find or replicate real print artifacts from old tropical themed destinations. Really excellent work.

Our waitress started trying to regulate our intake after the second round. It was our first bar of the day so we didn't appreciate this in the slightest. She was also being passively aggressive about how much we were laughing. She was the only blight on a fabulous evening at what is probably a top 5 tiki bar in North America.

July 17, 2015, 9:02 AM
Tiki Bob's Cantina was a ubiquitous college style tiki bar. It received allot of business by virtue of it's location next to Safeco Field (across from the north parking lot). It was frequented by a younger crowd and Red Bull reps. It had a Senor Frogs kind of flair. Moderate décor but there was nothing in the place that had the "wow" factor. It was the kind of place you go for jello shots and cheap beer prior to the Seahawks or Mariners game or to watch college girls strip for tuition money.

Polynesian Room, Fort Lauderdale
July 16, 2015, 8:25 AM
The wreck bar still has Mermaids swimming on Friday & Saturday evenings at 6:00. Definitely worth the trip.

Tony's on the Pier, Redondo Beach
July 6, 2015, 11:07 PM
fantastic mai tai, and the food was delicious. the waves crashing against the pilings adding to the wild natural feeling and seeing the waves rush by while eating is awesome

Don the Beachcomber, Huntington Beach
July 6, 2015, 11:04 PM
hands down the best tiki place overall in my travels. always a great staff, good patrons all locals, and very good drinks. they even have a tiki take on nachos by using fried wonton wrappers in lieu of chips. needless to say they taste great, especially with the kalua pork on top. only downside is some of the t-shirts on display have been unavailable for some time, hopefully they correct that.

July 6, 2015, 10:59 PM
just had lunch ther with family. mai tai was so-so, food was very Chef Mike. decor was great but the gift shop was not open and no one knew when it would be open. all in all a bit of a let down

July 6, 2015, 10:01 AM
I swung by The Tiki yesterday on my way home from Oakland. The thatched booths have recently been removed and from what the bartender told us, they are in the middle of a remodel. He said that they were going to put in more (GASP!) TVs and they are painting a hideous mural on one of the walls. The Tiki that stood guard of the entrance is gone and the only one I could find inside was in the corner being used as a table for trash. The motel was super sketchy with drug deals and hooking in the parking lot in broad daylight. I suggest if you plan on seeing it, go now as there might not be any recognizable part of it left in the near future.

July 6, 2015, 2:52 AM
very much a TGIF with a pandering tiki front. la mariana off sand island drive is where you should go.

July 2, 2015, 1:28 AM
Tiki Tiki provided a substandard faux polynesian experience that left me feeling bummed out. I had high expectations when I arrived. However, by the time my visit was through, I was lacking the rum soaked aloha spirit that a tiki bar should provide.

The most important part of the tiki experience is rum. So to start, I order a Mai Tai--the benchmark drink for any tiki establishment. Tiki Tiki’s Mai Tai was served in a sundae glass with a pineapple, orange, and flower garnish. Neat. It looked pretty, but how did it taste? Bad. The first thing that jumped out was the temperature of the drink. It was warm. There was just a scant amount of melting ice floating at the top of the cocktail. Pineapple and orange juice dominated the flavor profile. There was only the tiniest hint of lime--not nearly enough. The drink was missing the taste of orgeat and rum. To sum this cocktail up: I asked for a Mai Tai, but was served a warm glass of fruit juice.

Terrible. After being shown our table and served our first round of drinks, we were ignored by the servers. They were zipping around the dining room tending to what appeared to be a birthday party. After more than 30 minutes of sitting in front of empty glasses and plates, I got up and requested further service.

Surprise charges:
When the bill finally got to our table, I noticed that it was 1000 yen too high. I looked a bit closer and noticed an item simply labeled “charge.” I asked our server what it was for, and he said that they charge 500 yen per customer simply for visiting. Well, it would have been nice knowing that before hand. There was nothing posted at front of the restaurant regarding a cover charge, our server did not inform us when we were being seated, and there was nothing noted in the menu.

Terrible drinks and service capped with a surprise cover charge that is revealed only when you receive your bill. Do not waste your money here. If you want to visit a tiki bar in Tokyo, you are better off going to Trader Vic’s at The New Otani.

Kahuna Tiki, North Hollywood
June 29, 2015, 3:35 PM
A cute, mostly outdoor restaurant having a relaxed atmosphere of waterfalls, tiki torches, and a sprinkling of other Polynesian touches including some tikis and masks. The peace is periodically interrupted by airplanes taking-off from nearby Bob Hope Airport. The menu is heavy on appetizers, sushi, and dessert – rather light on anything/everything else. There is a kids menu. As of just this month (June 2015) Kahuna Tiki now has their liquor license. You can get beer, wine, sake, and a small selection of tropical cocktails (Kahuna Paradise, Wikiki Wipe Out, Pina Colada, Mai Tai, Hawaiian Punch Spiked, and Blue Hawaiian). They’re probably still working on the cocktails so expect changes.

Damon's, Glendale
June 27, 2015, 12:52 AM
just had dinner with family, definitely one of the best tiki places in the country. 70 years must mean something is being done right and it shows

Longitude, Oakland
June 22, 2015, 4:58 PM
Finally made it here. We were in the area on a Sunday at 4pm right when they opened. Great time to go, not crowded at all. Drinks were good, we also ordered the pupu platter which I thought had a nice selection of items. They were super nice to us. Also plenty of parking out front. More safari meets tiki but nicely decorated.

The Hawaiian, Salt Lake City
June 16, 2015, 6:50 PM
I was trying to find anything on the internet about the Hawaiian, and glad I did. I was looking for pictures, or anything. I miss the restaurant, and wish it were still around. My husband proposed to me there 30 years ago. He has passed away now and I only have found memories. I wish it was there so, I could have returned to visit, and let my children see how cool it is. The food was good, not gourmet, but the atmosphere and the huge tropical drinks were the best. Does anyone know what year it is was closed? Thank you for putting creating this website and letting me reminisce.

Foundation, Milwaukee
June 13, 2015, 7:31 PM
When I travel, I try to find a Tiki Bar. Last week, business made me go to Milwaukee. I looked on Critiki for a bar and two popped up. Foundation had a high score.

I went there and boy was I impressed. I would rank it as a top 10 tiki bar. Yeah, I was a little weirded out by the neighborhood and yeah, the place looks like an old house on the outside with an Easter Island head nailed to the side of it, but when you open the door, you are in a tropical wonderland. The crowd is friendly, the drinks are strong and authentic. None of your orange juice and pineapple "Mai Tai" here.

Don Nelson is a mixologist extraordinaire and loves his tiki culture. The music playing at Foundation is a wonderful mix of exotica, Bossa Nova, lounge, surf and the rest of the good stuff that is era specific and perfect.

I checked out another Tiki Bar in the area, had a decent Mai Tai, got a snoot full of pop rock and rockabilly and headed right back over to Foundation. Honestly, this was one of the best Tiki Bars that I have been to and I am looking for an excuse to return to Milwaukee... just to visit Don and Foundation again.

Wytukai, Christ Church
June 3, 2015, 12:47 PM
Wytukai is went out of business. 😞

Hawaiian Village, Vancouver
May 28, 2015, 8:02 PM
Darn what a shame they are no longer around, used to go to the one in New Westminster, BC., all the time. It's very sad. I have not been to the restaurant in 25 years.

Hawaiian Village, Vancouver
May 28, 2015, 7:57 PM
Why isn't there a menu for the Hawaiian Village, Vancouver and New Westminster, BC, Canada?

May 18, 2015, 9:01 PM
Drove 300 miles to get here and had the worst drinks and service ever. The decor is quite good but other than that the ratings here are much too kind.

May 12, 2015, 11:07 AM
Worth checking out but your experience will differ greatly depending on whose tending bar.

Mahiki, London
May 12, 2015, 10:57 AM
Was denied entry by a snarky door girl for not being dressed 'sharp and casual' and the threatened to be removed. Only bar I've ever been denied entry to anywhere in the world. Head to the beachcomber instead, the guys there were awesome.

Tiki Taky, Prague
May 11, 2015, 10:29 AM
Great tiki bar in źiźkov. Small but great vibes and good drinks. Try the 'spank my purple pineapple monkey ass '. Also the only place I've visited that makes an absinth tiii cocktail.

Voodoo Room, Los Angeles
May 8, 2015, 8:40 AM
Interestingly, Lisa Vanderpump's "Pump Restaurant" is now in this location. She must have expanded the patio area quite a bit based on what I've seen on her show.

Dirty Dick, Paris
May 1, 2015, 1:56 PM
Fun place and strong drinks. Dark with a great atmosphere, it's an unexpected oasis in the middle of Paris (just minutes from the Moulin Rouge). A "must visit" for any tikiphile!

April 28, 2015, 1:05 AM
My dad used to be a valet at Kahiki in the 1960s. Back then everyone wore formal attire and it was very classy. Over the years it became more of a family-style restaurant.

My family had numerous birthdays, anniversaries and celebrations there. Any time we had visitors in from out of town we'd take them to Kahiki. My husband and I even had our wedding rehearsal dinner there in 1999.

Like most other locals, we were really sad to see Kahiki go. It was a very special place for us. Thankfully we have some pictures of our fun times there and lots of great memories.

Thanks for sharing the information and photos you have on Kahiki. It was such a unique place and I'll never forget it.

April 25, 2015, 9:39 AM
It was known as Mark Thomas' Outrigger from '86 to '90, I frequented it when I was stationed at (then) Fort Ord.

It had a great bar, so-so food, and a pretty good weekend scene.

Best feature, glass floors (well, windows), with lighting to watch the surf roll in under the diners.

Trader Vic's, London
April 14, 2015, 2:28 PM
Drinks are great and the Decor is excellent. A must see.

Mahiki, London
April 14, 2015, 2:26 PM
Don't go unless you want to be treated rudely. They have no idea what Tiki is all about. Basically a night club with some Tiki decor. Drinks are over priced and suck.

April 9, 2015, 12:18 PM
It closed permanently! Sad

Hale Pele, Portland
April 7, 2015, 9:56 PM
The drinks are wonderful- there's an emphasis on drink history in the menu, and my friends thrilled to the thunder and smoke that would issue forth from the booths every so often. An impressive amount of carvings too. I had the Q.B.Cooler and was not disappointed!

Ports of Call, Toronto
April 4, 2015, 8:10 PM
I went to Ports of Call in 1966 when I was a very bright observant and impressionable nine year old from a town outside Chicago. The occasion was my family's first vacation trip to the Georgian Bay, but first, we had to stop and see my father's Aunt Florence who lived within walking distance of Ports of Call on Baker Street in Toronto. I wasn't a complete stranger to swank, but my father protested vociferously when she wanted to take us all to dinner there because of the expense. She won out and I remember I was glad because the place looked very cool and posh to me from the outside. AS I recall, there was a small flight of wrought iron steps up or down to the restaurant, and upon entering, there was a dark tropical atmosphere and a wooden footbridge across running water. We were greeted and escorted across the water to one of the rooms, all tricked out with shells, nets, floats, tikis and who knows what. They gave us huge menus and we kids got drinks with umbrellas. I have no idea what we ate but I know my dad mellowed out so he must have had one of the rum drinks. I absolutely never forgot my visit to Ports of Call, and when I finally revisited Toronto in 2009, I think it was (Michael Jackson died while I was there)I went back there to show my husband my long-deceased Aunt's former home and to see if by some long shot Ports of Call was still there. Of course it was not. I was thinking about Ports of Call tonight, don't know why, and found this website. That's when I suddenly realized that Ports of Call was my very first Tiki Place ever. In my youth, I always loved a tiki place and gravitated to them. I still do. In Chicago I hit Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vic's, and House of Tiki repeatedly. Just a couple of years ago I went to Disney World in Orlando where we visited Polynesian Village and ate at their Polynesian Restaurant with fire, meat on a spit, drinks afire and semi naked dancing men. Really pretty good. Tiki is alive and well in Las Vegas, but thanks, Toronto, for being the first to turn me on to it.

The Enchanted Tiki Room, Anaheim